• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
There is a real world application for this. Anyone who works with labeling can utilize it for testing. To give you an example, part of my job is designing labels for our customers. (We develop software for the food industry). Customers require different types of barcodes based on their needs and also by their customers needs. There is also an international organization called GS1 that sets up global standards to use for the industries. Anyway, most of our customers produce cases that use the UCC/EAN 128 barcode type that provides traceability for recall purposes. So in case of bad product or what not, we can trace that case all the way back to WHO produced it, WHAT plant, its PRODUCT CODE, the PRODUCTION DATE it was made, etc. We also usually print a TYPE 39 barcode on the label for inventory tracking.

So lets say I don't have one of our Pocket PC's, Symbol, or Palm devices handy (which also has a barcode scanner and our handheld device applications) and I need to do some testing on the barcode...I could use the Incredible to scan the barcode with the camera. The app on the phone will then tell me what barcode type it is, and tell me what data it decoded in the barcode. By using this, I can ensure that my barcode data was outputted correctly or not. I can keep going, but this should give you a simple basis for the barcode scanner on the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones