• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

School shootings

I don't see what's stupid about banning guns. We had a school shooting in 1996. As result, the already strict gun controls in the UK were tightened. We don't have any problems with mass shootings like this. The weapons just aren't available. The plain fact is that if people don't generally have weapons, these incidents won't occur.

True. But this is a good debating point over intent. If somebody wanted to slaughter a classroom worth of students, technically one could do it with common household cleaning agents. Or with a minivan during recess. Ban those items and one could get many more effective items that will work. Gilly suit and do it Sam Fisher style with a screwdriver.... You get my point.

Banning guns worked for the UK yes. Here you would need to do what Australia did and forcefully take them, uh... Not without mayhem. Ban would take hundreds of years and more bloodshed to make a dent. We have a LOT of guns here. Short term? As people have said: it disarms responsible gun owners and will not make a dent in the illegal market. It will bolster it for a time.

Upvote 0
True. But this is a good debating point over intent. If somebody wanted to slaughter a classroom worth of students, technically one could do it with common household cleaning agents. Or with a minivan during recess. Ban those items and one could get many more effective items that will work. Gilly suit and do it Sam Fisher style with a screwdriver.... You get my point.

We're hanging out on a forum, where people will literally spend hundreds of dollars to buy a phone which will open their photo library fractions of a second quicker.....

In terms of a 'productivity boost' an assault rifle is a massive upgrade on a screwdriver when your looking at any real world tests.

Upvote 0
Well I'm a teacher and wouldn't want to be doing concealed carry in the classrooms, but then hardly anyone has guns in China. However knife and sword attacks have happened at schools here though. And so now some schools do have X-rays, metal detectors, frisking, etc. And many school staff and students are trained in martial arts.

But laws/law and order are very important and tough in China, right? You're expected to behave a certain way, and it's very unusual for people to break the law the way they do here in the US. We give too many slaps on the wrist for bad crimes, yet put people away for decades for doing things like using drugs. Really makes no sense...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones