• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen issues (color banding, flickering)

D

Deleted User

Just wondering if anyone else had noticed faint flickering issues with their Behold 2 screens? I especially notice it with smooth gray scale gradients, soft focus wallpapers, or solid color mid tones. Also, some color banding in grey mid tones... looks like faintly alternating horizontal lines of green and magenta.

I work in digital imaging professionally, so I really notice such things. Can't decide if I'm being overly critical, or if my phone has an issue.

some pics to illustrate:

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

Upvote 0
ya its true, it has more colors and more brightness, but there is always a flaw in everything, nothing is perfect lol. AMOLED also saves battery life. Maybe its just weird like that because the screen resolution, or how small the creen is itself. are screen is 3.2 inches with a 320 by 480 i believe, while a screen not much bigger (3.7) has a resolution of 480 by 860 or something close to that, I cant remember the exact numbers.

Upvote 0
I think its not the screen per say but the images used by the software. Have you taken a look at the home screen with one of the provided backgrounds? It looks wonderful. I think its just whatever images were used to build the dialer, etc.

could be, I know what you mean, it could be the quality of the interface graphics on some images!

Upvote 0
That's why I included the dialer, i think that's a vector image, not bitmap. But I do see it with included wallpapers too. Weirder, on the wallpapers I really notice the flickering when using the HTC sense blurred background. All those smooth tones really expose the flicker. And when I say flicker, i mean it's a faint version of what would happen when you needed to degauss a CRT monitor, or the refresh rate is off or something.

I think its not the screen per say but the images used by the software. Have you taken a look at the home screen with one of the provided backgrounds? It looks wonderful. I think its just whatever images were used to build the dialer, etc.

Upvote 0
exactly, paul89- It's these flickering horizontal lines that cascade down the screen. I'm willing to overlook the green/magenta banding in grey tones because of issues of color spaces, image compression, and a dozen other things that make this tricky to pull off.

But the flickering thing.... just seems really poorly made.

what I see sometimes is thin horizontal bars streaming down the whole screen, it is very fait but somnetimes makes the screen feel cheap, or look cheap

Upvote 0
no you are not being over critical. I had mine since december and have same issues. I recently got the update from samsung and its ten time worse. Mine still under manufacter warranty, so tmobile sent me a new one which i got today and it has the same issue. Grey scale screen, flickers like crazy, i am returnin for a 3rd relplacement.

Upvote 0
Just got my nexus and everything is working great except - the terrible flicker in the camera. As soon as I turn the camera on, the whole screen shakes as if witnessing an earthquake; the camera seems to 'remember' the objects at which it was looking because even when I close the viewfinder it continues to show the same image for a few seconds with shaking and blurring; when I toggle to camcoder it most of the time takes care of the problem, but not always. Toggling back to camera mode works for like 1-2 seconds, then the shaking of images appears all over.
No soft/hard resets have helped. Repair ticket issued, this puppy is heading to the shop.
Very disappointed...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones