• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen Locks During Call

mrgou

Aug 24, 2011
Hi,

I have a repeating, extremely annoying issue: sometimes, but not all the times, while on call, the screen lock completely and cannot be recovered, even after the call has ended. I can only force to shut down the phone by maintaining the side button pushed.

I think the expected behavior is that the screen should go black when I have the phone to my ear, and get back when I lower it. This just doesn't occur. Pushing where the end call button should display won't even work. It won't even light up if a call comes in.

Can anybody help me? Is this a known issue or should I ask for a replacement?

Thanks!

Raph

I just updated to the latest firmware, but it didn't make a difference: after the call begins, the screen keeps on for a second, then goes definitively black and locked.

This is completely crippling! A search of Google shows a lot of similar reports, but no one ever seemed to bring a solution! :-(

Upvote 0
I just thought I'd give an update just in case someone ever looks into the same problem, as I thought I may have found the cause of the issue: however far-fetched it may seem, I'm thinking it may be due to Samsung's own leather case. I noticed this didn't occur back when I had a silicon case, and it still doesn't when the phone is out of the leather case. Better: when the screen goes black, it goes back alive when I remove the phone from the case. I guess the case somehow messes up with the sensors.

Has anybody heard of something similar?

Upvote 0
I'm thinking it may be due to Samsung's own leather case.

If you remove everything from the phone ... now make a call ... during the call put your finger over the camera or the speaker slot ... screen goes blank ... remove finger ... screen comes back.

Yes it is the leather case ... push it firmly to the bottom or shave the bit off that covers the sensors.

Upvote 0
I finally got something to work because I need to have my phone password/pattern protected at all times. I used the "Lock automatically" option under "Security". If the phones turns the screen off automatically, it will not ask you for the password/patern but until the time limit you set under this option to. This option does not work when you lock your phone manually with the Power button.

I posted this fix in Android Central. Hope it helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones