• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen Problem ?

D

Deleted User

Hi everyone, I could say that these days I've made a big mistake by sitting on my phone, it was on my bed and i've managed to sit on it. The resoult was that my touch screen not worked for an hour. After that, and after a full phone reset, i've managed to bring it back to life. But now, when i'm looking at my screen i see on it a small rectangular thing with different collors and i can see some small dot's on it in a pattern. Should I go in service with the phone, or you all have the same rectangular thing.

Thanks for the answer. I just hate taking the phone in service. I will probably change it for an Iphone. I didn't expect that the phone will break down so fast. The touch screen still works with no problem, but.....i don't like this thing, that my phone will be dead in a few months.

Upvote 0
But now, when i'm looking at my screen i see on it a small rectangular thing with different collors and i can see some small dot's on it in a pattern. Should I go in service with the phone, or you all have the same rectangular thing.

Hi, I have the same probelm with the rectangular thing on my screen. However I have not cause any damage to it, just noticed it one morning. From time to time its goes but comes back.

Did you ever find out what it is?

Cheers

Upvote 0
The colorful thing is just the result of contamination within the layers of the TS and the dots are actually the TS sensitive dots (you can see how coarse is the sensor resolution!)

The problem normally happens a few months after starting using an HTC TATTOO and it is due to very VERY, I mean VERY!!! poor technology design and production standards.

It normally happens because of exposure of the phone to humidity. This can happen even just because of perspiration or talking very close to the phone (well, guess what normally people do with a phone!).

I have not investigated further the matter but I assume the sealing between the TS layers is defective and some contamination enters. I don't think humidity by itself is the cause of the problem. I guess the chemistry of the sensitive layers is affected or colonies of microorganisms develop in the gap between layers. The result in any case is that an adhesive, thick, probably conductive fluid accumulates between the sensitive layers and interferes with the sensor matrix.

I have tried cooking the phone to up to 100 Celsius degrees (after removing the battery, of course), freezing it, keeping for one week in a virtually no humidity environment, exposing it to high and low pressure environments. Nothing works. After the phenomenon starts normally the complete failure of the TS happens in matter of few weeks.

The good part of the story is that as long as you manage to get the problem happening during the warranty period (one year the first time and 3 months after the first substitution) you can have the TS substituted for free a virtually infinite number of times.

I strongly suggest that HTC revises the design of the TATTOO and ensures proper quality standards (i.e. pay reasonable price to the provider of the TS to allow them ensuring adequate standards)

Pix

Upvote 0
Its called Newtons Rings.

In your case (op) it is unlikely to be contamination as in the above post.

Newtons Rings can be caused by contamination between the touchscreen layers, or the layers collapsing and actually begining to touch each other. So, as you sat on it, its more than likely the latter. Also, I haven't seen anybody complain (yet) of dust between the TS layers, so not sure its that defectively sealed. (NB I'm not saying its not crap though!)

Have a look on Wikipedia for the full explanation.

If you had had an iphone, that just brings different problems if you sit on it, so its not the Tattoos fault. As its screen is glass, it could have cracked. In fact your Tattoo screen is probably tougher than an iphone in a drop test.

- Mark

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones