• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Secret LED on the right side of the earpiece grill?

This proof of concept app is so promising and exciting, I'm surprised there's not more interest or dev's taking note of it.

This LED appears brighter and has the option to customize colors. It's a piece of the hardware no one seemed to know about. I wish I had the skills to help develop implementation of it for notifications.

Upvote 0
This proof of concept app is so promising and exciting, I'm surprised there's not more interest or dev's taking note of it.

This LED appears brighter and has the option to customize colors. It's a piece of the hardware no one seemed to know about. I wish I had the skills to help develop implementation of it for notifications.

Wait it can display different colors?

Upvote 0
I'm stock 2.2, using Handcent. The LED light does not blink when getting a notification while charging. Wish it would, though. That would come in handy.
Wrong thread for this BUT you can change that in the settings handcent recommends chaning it from defalt to normal in the handcent settings to get it to work right for right now on the evo.

Reactions: newnoise
Upvote 0
No. Cameras and video cameras have an IR filter in front of the sensor chip to block near-light IR transmissions. This is why photographers with dSLRs no longer need IR screw-on filters in front of their lenses.

Easy to test. Record the front of your remote control and see if you see any pulsing lights. You won't.

The proximity sensor is in the black area under the normal left-side LED.

I show friends all the time that phone cameras, camcorders and digital point and shoots can easily pick up IR light. new DSLRs, however, are getting better and better at blocking IR.

I'm almost 100% confident that's the proximity sensor.

Upvote 0
Just read that the newest version released (10.09.06) DOES NOT require root access! It has me very excited since I am not rooted and have been waiting around for this app to be ready for non-root. The problem is that XDA is currently down, (I don't have an account there anyway). I wondered if anyone here has it available.

Upvote 0
for those who want the led to flash when charging try always flash.
you need to be rooted

chart

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones