• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Secure folder files recovery

Ankylo

Lurker
Jun 27, 2023
Hello all, I have a samsung S22(non rooted) with secure folder installed. I moved some files there, but I've acciendetally deleted them(also from the recycle bin), I don't have a backup in the cloud. I've also searched methods through the internet but everyone gives you a different tool to use. I actually tried a few with no luck(they only recover the files from the "normal" gallery, and not from the secure folder gallery).
So could it be posible to recover these files somehow??(maybe rooting the samsung, maybe jailbreaking it or it just that when you delete files from the recylce bin they get permenantly deleted and there's no way of recovering them)

Thanks for your response ocnbrze! Here's what I just tried with still no luck:
Since the secure folder seems like a mirror(container) from the "normal" system, I tried an android recovery app on the "normal" system(which worked perfectly fine), and then I installed the exact same application on secure folder to see if I had luck, but I didn't. So my hipotesis now is that my secure folder deleted files might be already overwritten by others.

Could be that a posibility? Could I've missed something? Or misunderstood something?
pd: In case you haven't noticed I am quite new to the Android OS, however I do have experience with Windows and Linux OS, so thats why I am not quite sure of my hipotesis.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'd just consider the contents in your Secure Folder are lost to you once you deleted them. Keep in mind, the Secure Folder directory itself is using its own encryption, separate from the encryption scheme applied to the internal storage media of your S22. It's not a trivially easy to bypass protection, rooting your phone won't and can't make any difference (it doesn't matter if you have root or user status, encryption keys are not that simple to 'hack'), nor will some allegedly 'magic' recovery app you install be able to do the same. That Secure Folder directory isn't just using system-level permissions, its encryption protects all the content inside it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones