• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Security on missing device

If you have Find My Device (formerly Android Device Manger) enabled and the phone is on and has an internet connection then yes, you can remotely located, lock or wipe the phone. Otherwise unless you have installed a security app of your own and set it up there's nothing you can do.

(Actually I don't know whether changing your FB password would be enough to protect access from a device that's already logged on, but it might be worth considering. If you got a new SIM from your carrier and got them to assign your number to it then used that to sign in to WhatsApp from another phone I suspect that might disconnect your current one from WhatsApp. Possibly just getting it disconnected from the phone service by reporting it lost/stolen would do that, since your WhatsApp account is linked to your phone number - not certain here, just speculating. Reporting it stolen will also get the IMEI blacklisted - perfect unless you get it back somehow!).

As for hacking the PIN, how clean was the screen? If someone can see where you tapped it it greatly reduces the number of combinations they need to try. Many phones will require some other id, such as your Google login, after some number of failed PIN attempts, while some will do a reset if they get it wrong too often. I don't know what this model will do.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
You can also contact your carrier to report Your device stolen or missing. Alot of carriers can lock your device remotely , you just have to provide the required information. from what I recall from a 20/20 news segment if you report you're device stolen your carrier can enter the information into the manufacturers website and flag the device. Then when a person goes to another carrier and tries to activate it on their carrier it will be flagged as stolen or missing. My aunt had an iPhone 4, you got ten tries after the 5th time the device locked for ten minutes, after ten minutes, you got 5 more tries failed to enter the correct pin the device locked up for an hour, after the third attempt the device locked up and you had to take it to the carrier to get it unlocked

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones