• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Seeking advice: Samsung S10, taking screenshots without prompts, etc.

anwul62

Jun 22, 2015
Samsung S10, Bixby button - set to take screenshots.

I used to have a routine that would take a screenshot of a screen, without prompting and/or showing the results.
Just a short notification that the screenshot was taken. This worked fine for a lllong time.
Regretfully Samsung decided to update Bixby so the routine doesn't work anymore.
At least .. not properly.
There is some blue spinning circle and I can't close it without some error message.

I -might- link to the Bixby button to some screenshot taking app.
However, when pushing the Bixby button the app will be opened and I should go from there.
That isn't really what I had in mind: I should be able to take screenshots one after the other without any interruptions.
So, the way before Samsung updated Bixby.

Q: does anybody out there know an app that could link to the Bixby button and that will silently take screenshots upon pushing that button?
(I vainly searched for it)

p.s. The way I had set it up is described in this Youtube video.
How to take a screenshot with the Bixby button

Thanks!

i still use palm swipes on my sammy devices. not sure about it showing the resulted screenshot.....never seen that.....there is at the bottom a brief menu showing the result as well some other options on cropping and adjusting the shot. but it only pops up briefly and disappears after a few seconds......is this what you are talking about?

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
I am very sorry for responding only now. Had some PC issues and it took a lot of time. Also, one way or the other I do not get a notification of replies.
Anyway, first of all, thank you both.
On reddit there is a description as to how 'remap' the bixby button so it will take a screenshot: no swiping, no pushing two buttons. It really works fine.
See: Remap bixby button to take screenshot

When pushing the bixby button a pop-up shows up for a short moment: one can immediately share (or do nothing). Super.

With the new version of Bixby there is a blue spinning circle, that does not disappear. When trying to close, often there is an error (routine still running, something like that). After waiting a while, one can finally close the pop-up.
A bit frustrating, reason to seek for alternatives.

I can link the bixby button to a screenshot app (Screenmaster Pro, Screenshot touch) but that doesn't work. The app is opened and I should go from there.
They have no setting to be active in the background and 'silently' take a screenshot, similar to the bixby routine.

I have a S10 - Bixby Routines version 3.50. xx
Unable to update, although I believe there are later versions...

Upvote 0
Oh, I forgot to tell: the blue spinning circle thing, like the below and ending up on the screenshot, that is fixed recently.
It shows up for a second, disappears and the screenshot is then taken, everything okay.

SnagIt-29022024 105846.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones