• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Selling up ! Advice?

barryl85

Jul 3, 2012
Larkhall, Scotland
Well, i'm getting the S4 on the 26th. I've had my fair share of help on the S3 section of the forum so thanks to all who have assisted me in getting rid of my Android virginity (hopefully I have helped others along the way).

My question to you all is, will a factory reset suffice or is there anything else I need to do before selling?

Well, i'm getting the S4 on the 26th. I've had my fair share of help on the S3 section of the forum so thanks to all who have assisted me in getting rid of my Android virginity (hopefully I have helped others along the way).

My question to you all is, will a factory reset suffice or is there anything else I need to do before selling?

If your phone is rooted, unroot it by formatting and then flashing a stock ROM to it. If your phone has something that can detect your no. of flashes you have done to it, reset it because it's a dead giveaway.

Upvote 0
I would save anything on the internal or external sd card that you may need and then format both. (erase both). :)
But that is what I have done with my Evo's.....factory reset and erase the card.

Yeah i'm going to keep the external SD card so will save all my stuff on that! I will have to make sure there is nothing else on the device ! I'm guessing the factory reset will take care of that though?

If your phone is rooted, unroot it by formatting and then flashing a stock ROM to it. If your phone has something that can detect your no. of flashes you have done to it, reset it because it's a dead giveaway.

It is unrooted although I was thinking of unlocking it if it is network locked, my friend who is on a different network is going to try his sim in it.

Upvote 0
Yeah i'm going to keep the external SD card so will save all my stuff on that! I will have to make sure there is nothing else on the device ! I'm guessing the factory reset will take care of that though?

It is unrooted although I was thinking of unlocking it if it is network locked, my friend who is on a different network is going to try his sim in it.
Please read this about unlocking first.
I am not quite clear on the legality of that, but that could be a whole other discussion which may or may not be cool here. :)

Upvote 0
Just a lil independant repair shop mate (my town is full of them lol). They should charge less than the carrier :thumbup:
Either that or buy a code from someone trusted on ebay. Ive never done that though so cant speak from experience

There was an easy method to unlock the phone on firmware 4.1.1 but I only just found out and now i'm on 4.1.2 :mad:

Probably the same method used by the sellers on ebay or phone shops!

Upvote 0
Well my 3 UK branded phone came unlocked, as did many S3's from different carriers.

I even started a poll back in the day to find out which carriers were providing unlocked phones:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/559056-using-dial-code-7465625-your-carrier-branded-phone-sim-locked.html

That code doesn't work any more to find out if your phone is unlocked because of firmware upgrades. But the poll does show that most carriers were providing unlocked phones.

It's worth just trying another sim in your device. ;)

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones