• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sent my Magic back, will Hero be better? ....

afd

Lurker
Aug 24, 2009
Hi all,

Very interested to compare the issues I had with an HTC Magic with any HTC Hero users here.

Below is the post I put on the Vodafone HTC Magic Forum which generated some discussion.

My conclusion was that the software was not ready and lots of things that should work "out of the box" did not and needed to be fixed, worked around, downloaded or just wait for the next version.
===============
I have only had the Magic for 2 days (of my 7 day trial period) but have been exploring it quite intensively. Whilst I like the idea of the phone, my current conclusion is that it is too "Early Adopter". I list out my issues below.

There are plenty of issues that can't be solved. Some issues can be resolved with research on this and other forums and by finding apps on the market, but these issues are so basic that they should word "out of the box". Most users will not have the time, patience or tech-knowledge to sort them out.

PS - there is no excuse for a Google phone not perfectly integrating with Google products - this is a

Hi there afd

As you quite rightly state, this is an early adopter's phone. BUT, as you also state, it come with a hefty price tag!

The hero will not solve many (if any) of those issues for you I'm afraid. It's a little quicker, has the headphone jack - but still runs on the same platform.

From my experience, google integration has worked very well - although your suggestion of multiple accounts is very valid.
I find the keyboard very good indeed, and certainly a match for my iphone 3g. The issues are form factor (IMHO). The hero has less horizontal space to squeeze a keyboard. However - for me, the ability to download a variety of third party keyboards from the market make this solvable.
Not sure what you mean about bluetooth - mine works fine.
Battery does need thoughtful management, but it does on any device of this kind. The more resources you use, the more it will consume - user being ignorant of this should not blame the handset (I'm not suggesting you're ignorant by the way)
Music app is total pants, I agree. I don't listen to much on my phone, but I wouldn't mind betting that the market has a solution for you.

Android has it's problems for sure. I am not saying otherwise. I would advise the following options:

1: Get the Hero and hang in there. New stuff is coming out all the time, and introductions will accelerate as more users some along.
2: Jump ship for now, and keep an eye on the forums. Come back when the platform meets your requirements.

I'm sure every last one of us here has prodded in vain at our android devices at some point, and wanted to swap it for a regular phone. If you stick with it, you'll be rewarded - it just may take time.

Upvote 0
According to this:

"Android version 2.0 (dubbed "Donut") has a powerful system-wide search called Android Search that allows you to query the Web as well as all the data on your phone (contacts, calendar, photos, songs)"

So, hopefully one of the major omissions will be remedied.

That's a good step in the right direction.

When I looked over my list of faults again, the 2 killers were multiple email accounts and searching the phone. If this kills one of the 2 we're almost there.

I will hold off a 2 year contract on an iPhone and keep hold of my trusty Nokia E51 for a little longer.

Upvote 0
If flexibility is your aim, then the iPhone will NOT give you that. I have had the 3G iPhone, and while it's a brilliant (yes, I really mean that) it is severely crippled unless you jailbreak.

The following of the iPhone is an attractive feature (more demand for more apps by reputable devs) - but the android platform will get there too. The potential is much greater for those willing to ride out the initial woes. We have open source, more handsets, more options for carriers...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones