• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sentinel 3: Homeworld - award winning sci fi Tower Defense now on Android!

I got more than my moneys worth from this game. But an update with an in-app purchase for a paid game? Something about the principle of the whole thing seems wrong.

I would have been less upset if Origin8 was more forthcoming that we have a 27MB update, but it really is only 2 levels free, after that it is an in app purchase to get the rest rather than:

A few people have mentioned they'd have preferred a separate app instead, is it the extra data download that's the sticking point? The expansion pack is packaged in exactly the same way as on iOS, in pretty much the standard manner for delivering substantial extra content to a paid game. It seems on Android people prefer DLC to be the province of free games?

Reactions: BklynEnigma and ral
Upvote 0
I paid 10-cents for the thing. It is well worth its full purchase price. I don't think you guys are greedy or charging too much. Even at US$9 for the whole game, it would be worth it in my opinion from what I have seen from the first campaign. Sentinel 3 is really very very good. It ended my love affair with RoboDefense.

I just do not like where this is going. It is something I hope does not become the standard in the market.

Look at what you have now. You have a paid app, but after buying it you actually just made a partial payment and get part of the app. You have to pay more later, and the amounts are not all the clear when you bought the app.

It changes rules that we are familiar with:

- Paid apps are paid apps.

- Free apps moslty have have ads, in-app purchases or the like. Ultimately a Freemium app will cost you more than a paid app.

Part of the fault is in the lay-out of the markets. In the App Store you see a purchase price and the list of top In-App purchases. In the Android Market, what might happen is someone buys it, have the 15-minute refund window expire and only than does he realizes the entire app costs more than he expected.

Maybe put a list of the cost of the in-app purchases in your description, like the App Store has?

Another option would have been to have the Original Sentinel 3 sold with Sentinel 3 Gold (your +DLC version).

Another issue. I am one of those willing to pay for a app just to avoid adds. You kind of placed adds in my add-free Sentinel 3 game.

Last on the extra data download. If you offered a separate the add-on I could have passed or bought it. Now if I don't want it, the market will keep reminding me of and available update. Basically, it eats up 27MB of space which I may not want just to avoid update notifications.

I got X-Plane, which I knew from the start had paid adds on's which would cost an arm and a leg (about US$60 total if I remember)... but I knew that going in. I just feel like in the case of S3, the rules changed mid-stream.

I really do appreciate the time.

Reactions: BklynEnigma
Upvote 0
The game is phenomenal. However I am annoyed, at how the Amazon version does not get updates. I bought this game from the Amazon market (I was unaware at that point, that that marketplace usually gets shafted by developers). Granted the app is cheaper on the Amazon market (currently, and the price I paid in October is 0.99, whereas on the Play store, it is 2.99). I could've bought it as well during the $0.10 sale, but I still didn't know there was a difference in app versions until just recently.

It's not only for the sake of paying twice, and on top of it paying 3x more than I originally paid, it's also the fact, that I'm pretty sure if I bought the PS version of the game and subsequently removed the Amazon version, I would lose my save file. I just beat all 20 campaign levels on Psycho, and would like to not have to do it again.

Any chance an Amazon update is coming soon?

Upvote 0
Amazon recently released their in-app purchase system to us devs, so the Amazon version of the game can finally be brought in line with the Google one. An update including all fixes to date, plus the Campaign 2 in-app purchase is now in submission, and should be with you in a few days.

In other news Sentinel 3 is part of the Because We May indie promotion, and has price dropped on Android, iOS and Mac. If you've been on the fence now's the time to grab it :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones