• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Setting Your Own Wallpaper, Ugly?

circazero

Jul 16, 2010
LA, CA
When I try to set a wallpaper from my own gallery, it only allows me to select a specific part of the picture. For example on the iphone I could resize the selection to fit the screen as much as I wanted. But the captivate sets a box and i cant make it bigger or smaller to select the entire wallpaper.

and also doesn't matter how high res the picture is, it always looks blurry. Unlike the stock wallpapers, they look super sharp and clear.

Anyone know what im doing wrong or how to fix it so i can choose to display an entire picture as my wallpaper rather than just a small portion?

Tap on the edges of the box, you'll get some drag arrows and you can crop on the fly in the wallpaper picker/gallery.

You need a wallpaper resolution that matches the amount of home screens if you have scrolling wallpaper enabled. Generally something like 960x800 will work pretty good, and you can go larger.

If you're trying a 480x800 image because it matches the native resolution, what's happening is it's being "zoomed" quite a bit to make it fit across all the home screens, and that ends up looking like hell.

The wallpaper picker yellow box default size is 480x800 on the Captivate, btw.

Upvote 0
Tap on the edges of the box, you'll get some drag arrows and you can crop on the fly in the wallpaper picker/gallery.

You need a wallpaper resolution that matches the amount of home screens if you have scrolling wallpaper enabled. Generally something like 960x800 will work pretty good, and you can go larger.

If you're trying a 480x800 image because it matches the native resolution, what's happening is it's being "zoomed" quite a bit to make it fit across all the home screens, and that ends up looking like hell.

The wallpaper picker yellow box default size is 480x800 on the Captivate, btw.

Oh man that was so easy!
I been using iPhones for 3 years and this is my first android phone.
Thanks a lot

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones