• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Simple app launcher for lock screen?

I have a Samsung S8 and its lock screen has icons for Phone and Camera. These are changeable, of course, via the settings, but I want to retain these two and add one or two more. There doesn't seem to be a stock way to do so. However, it would seem that one of the two apps could itself me an app launcher, e.g. it would open a tray that has icons for other apps to run. That would allow me to replace the Camera icon with the "Launcher icon", which itself would present the Camera and the other one or two things I want available from the lock screen.

I've seen that there are many "app launchers" in the app store, but these seem to be more intrusive and extensive than I want. I don't want to change the whole lock screen interface.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Unfortunately, you're at the mercy of TouchWiz (Samsung's stock launcher) if you don't want to switch to a third party launcher. There might be lock screen apps that could give you what you want, but I've seen them where you have to unlock twice, meaning that the app is just a lock screen overlay and not a replacement.

Reactions: CraigJConrad
Upvote 0
My current Pixel's lockscreen doesn't even allow that degree of customisation (but then I rarely see it, as I just unlock as I pick the phone up, so that barely matters to me). But my previous phone did allow me to choose 4 apps.

However, if you then tried to leave those apps it would suddenly pop up and ask for your PIN, rather than give you full access to the phone without unlocking. I didn't try what you are suggesting with it, but wouldn't have been surprised if it had intercepted that and asked me to unlock.

But TBH it sounds like what you want is a folder rather than an app, and I expect it's not designed to let you add those. Other apps I've met that provide such things do so using widgets, which again isn't quite the same as an app. But if you can find an app that does that I guess you could just try it and see what happens?

Reactions: CraigJConrad
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones