• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Since KitKat my keyboard is buggy (stock)

cable_guy

Nov 3, 2010
hi all,

since I installed KitKat OTA on my Stock N4, occasionally when I open a program which requires keyboard input, e.g. WhatsApp or Messaging, the keyboard buttons appear to press but no input is entered into the dialog box.

I can workaround by manipulating the app a little bit, e.g. going out of the message and back into it. But pressing the home key and relaunching the app (from memory) does NOT fix it.

Very very annoying indeed, does anyone have any advice for a fix for me please?

Ah that's interesting, I would never of thought of doing that....

I assume you mean hit "uninstall updates" on the below screen? then just reboot ?

P.s......the keyboard app is 32MB!? that seems a lot!!

You'll notice that half of that 32MB is "Data" - dictionaries, prediction, possibly offline voice recognition data, etc. But yes, uninstalling updates should do it.

Alternatively, you could try booting the phone in safe mode to make sure there isn't any third-party software conflicting with the keyboard somehow.

Upvote 0
Damn, didn't know this even existed. :p

That makes (at least!) two of us.

Always learning, just as it should be :)

That's what I'm here for :D

And really, I'd bet that the majority of Android users as well as a lot of power users or enthusiasts don't know (or have forgotten) about Safe Mode. It can be very handy for trying to track down application issues.

Upvote 0
hi all, sorry to say but uninstalling keyboard updates and rebooting did not fix my problem!

Almost every time I open a text message from a notification , it is like the keyboard is not enabled, until I click back to the inbox of the application e.g. WhatsApp or SMS and enter the message again, then it works. Any ideas please this is majorly frustrating even making me think about wiping it

Upvote 0
hi all, sorry to say but uninstalling keyboard updates and rebooting did not fix my problem!

Almost every time I open a text message from a notification , it is like the keyboard is not enabled, until I click back to the inbox of the application e.g. WhatsApp or SMS and enter the message again, then it works. Any ideas please this is majorly frustrating even making me think about wiping it

Did you happen to try out Safe Mode to see if it made any difference? That should at least identify whether it's an issue with the OS or with a third-party application.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones