• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Skinomi Screen Protector Review

Yes, the orange peel can be seen, but very minimal. Somehow, after almost 12 hours of application, I turned on my phone.

I realized that it's not as clear as I wanted. Somehow I can see the vertical lines on it, making my screen not as clear.

I need someone to report back. I have used Bodyguardz on my previously, it worked flawlessly(no orange peel etc.).

Just to let everyone know this. It looks like the picture attached, but much thinner.

Attachments

• SNC00394.jpg
    SNC00394.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 230
Upvote 0
After scouring the web, it seems that there are various vendors selling almost the exact same thing. Even the description of the plastic used is the same "...helicopter blades...etc."

I got the skinomi because of cost. Free shipping, lifetime warranty, and I got 25% off code on their website. Total $9.

After applying it, I can say that it definitely gets better after a few days when the bubble dry out. I was initially irked that several larger bubbles were trapped and after squeeging them out, the marks still remained, but now after a few days, it is barely noticeable, and that's with me looking for it. Once you turn the screen on, there is no difference.

There is a very minimal "orange peel" to it, but again, if you're looking at it straight on, you cannot tell. Once you turn on the device, completely imperceptible. Why anyone would stress over something you can only tell with the screen off and looking at it from an angle puzzles me.

Overall, I am very pleased. No hesitation putting the screen-side down if I'm listening to the speakers. Look on the skinomi website and use the code GET25 to get $3 off of $12.

Upvote 0
ADH,

Glad you were able to install this sucker.

If you recall I had a mess of a time with mine. (you can search my username for pics of my ****ty install)

Question: How much spray did you apply to your fingers and the adhesive part of the screen? I think I might not have put enough on the back. Did you soak it entirely? I put some on but it definitely did not make it evenly on the whole back side. My fingers got a little dry too and caused some fingerprints.

How long did this process take?

Overall I think this is potentially a really good skin because it protects MOST of the entire front (minus millimeters of the edges when aligned perfectly). If there is an orange peel effect it is very, very minimal. Not noticeable but I can see it when looking from the side of it. You don't feel the orange peel feeling. It is very smooth and wipes down very well.

Unrelated but speaks to their customer service: I emailed them about a rainbow effect on it. Not as bad as another poster above but there is a spot on the lower left corner and a rainbow streak along the left side going vertical. I told them about it and some air bubbles that didn't go away after a week and they are sending me another one! Very cool. I hope the next protector goes on much better.

THANKS FOR THIS THOROUGH REVIEW.

PS: Can I come over and YOU can install it for me?;):cool::D

Reactions: AngryDeadHorse
Upvote 0
ADH,

Thanks for the kind words. If you want to fly to Boston, the least I can do is install it for you! No guarantees though ;)

I think the whole job took about 15-20 minutes.

I would say I used a good amount of spray on each side. I tried to completely wet down both sides. I don't think I put enough on my finger tips though. I still have that mark on the lower right side and I think that is because I left some fingertip residue on the inside of the protector.

Glad to hear they sent you another one.

Like you said I don't mind the peel effect because it is only noticeable when the screen is off. I do get a slight rainbow effect but I think it is worth it.

Now I don't have any problems throwing the phone in my pocket with Keys and change. Much less stress about carrying the phone around is worth the slight issues.

Good luck with your next install. Let me know how it goes.

-adh

Upvote 0
ADH,

Thanks for the kind words. If you want to fly to Boston, the least I can do is install it for you! No guarantees though ;)

I think the whole job took about 15-20 minutes.

I would say I used a good amount of spray on each side. I tried to completely wet down both sides. I don't think I put enough on my finger tips though. I still have that mark on the lower right side and I think that is because I left some fingertip residue on the inside of the protector.

Glad to hear they sent you another one.

Like you said I don't mind the peel effect because it is only noticeable when the screen is off. I do get a slight rainbow effect but I think it is worth it.

Now I don't have any problems throwing the phone in my pocket with Keys and change. Much less stress about carrying the phone around is worth the slight issues.

Good luck with your next install. Let me know how it goes.

-adh

I installed mine about a day before you. you're right, it is a great protector. I only notice the Orange peel when I reflect light off the dark parts of the screen at an angle. the feel on it is nice. my buddy had a zagg it it had a tacky feel while this one is smooth. the oil from fingers doesn't build up nearly as much as the glass screen. if you finish the install and there is some liquid under the screen then don't worry because it will go away in a week. only two issues: 1) the trackpad is no longer flush with the screen. very minor issue and expected. 2) if you use the VZW soft case, it fits so tightly that it has a tendency to scrape the corners of the screen protector off of the phone. just something to know. other than that, its a great investment.

Upvote 0
I finally got another protector and installed it again. it went on much better this time, but I can still see some blotches on the front in the same spots (or close to it), if I remember correctly..

I know that after a few days it looked much better than the first pics i took.

Good luck to me that I didn't screw up the phone... I'll update if you all are interested.

Upvote 0
i installed one of these and was pissed bc i am ocd about screen protectors and i made one mistake... so long story short i made things way worse and should have left it... bc by the next day the things that i thought would be there where gone. but since i pulled it up so much i got some like sticky stuff stuck under the screen but im going to leave it for now

Upvote 0
i installed one of these and was pissed bc i am ocd about screen protectors and i made one mistake... so long story short i made things way worse and should have left it... bc by the next day the things that i thought would be there where gone. but since i pulled it up so much i got some like sticky stuff stuck under the screen but im going to leave it for now

Same exact thing happened to me dust and everything..... next day a lot of the imperfections went away and it got better after that too. I changed it out b/c of a rainbow streak that showed along the left side and it was aligned too much to the right making the trackpad a little difficult to use.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones