• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Skype Officially in the Market for the HTC EVO 4G

I got home and tested it and it all works fine for me.

I got home, logged in, tried to make a call to a cell phone but couldn't cause it said I needed WiFi on. So I left the application, turned WiFi on, came back to the application then made the call to the cell phone and it worked just fine. The call quality was the same as the phone normally is, couldn't tell a difference. Then hung up and called someone skype to skype (they were running the skype application on their iPhone4) and that went through just fine as well, the quality was fine too.

So at least for me it is working as advertised.

Upvote 0
I use skype on my netbook all the time. ANd I rarely use the video feature. I travel all the time(in Rio now) and it is good to be able to call back home. Anyway, seems like a lot of you folks are just looking for a toy. This IS a useful app even if it does not have video chat. Calling internationally for 2 cents a minute makes it a very useful tool!

true that brother - I use it for international calling on the go too. I would really love the video function to work too. I was finally able to log in and test it out. It is not bad just one thing that I have is why is there no exit button I really would like to be able to easy quit the app instead of going into my settings (no I will not use a task killer).

I have to congratulate skype however that they at least launched application for android now at least there is a hope they would work on it and develop better interface and video chat.

I would officially like to say screw you iphone I have everything I need and more on my evo - and Steve Jobs you should go buy yourself a polish sausage and do bad things to it. Android all the way. I love my evo!!!!

Upvote 0
I know I have already made my point, but I am gonna think out loud for a bit more to help the unsatisfied understand. Skype is, first and foremost, a VoIP client(Voice over Internet Protocol). That is what made them famous. Does this app provide this?? Yes it does.....100%!!!!

I went to Buenos Aires about 3 months ago and forgot my netbook. I did have my EVO though but no ability to do anything with it reference VoIP. I even posted on here asking for help so I could somehow call my wife. I got 2 responses and they were both fails. Not ragging on the responders, but ragging on the choices we had. This app would have saved the day. In fact, if I can rely on this app I may not need to carry my netbook around with me on trips.

Now, I hear people complaining that you cannot connect via 3G. And my response without thinking would be....why in the heck would you need skype if you have a 3G connection???? But if I think a little bit, people may use Skype over 3G to save minutes. Skype might have a formal agreement to prevent this or it is them thinking forward to reduce liability. The cellphone companies would sue the crap out of Skype if they could prove that Skype was robbing them of minutes. Not only that, they would prevent Skype altogether if that is the way it worked. So in order for Skype to be in this particular market, they have to prohibit 3G use. Video chat likely gets lost in this last point...although they could rig it where you use 3G minutes if you use it over 3G....that would be the solution. But then you would have people complaining, 'Why the heck would I want to use it if it cost me minutes???"!!!!...you with me here??...haha! Obviously, I think most of us would allow the usage of minutes for video chat....or would we? I have no clue how Verizon's app works on that network but I am willing to bet that their customers cannot use Skype to save minutes on Verizon. Just thinking like a greedy capitalist here!

Anyway, I am just rambling here and thinking out loud. Maybe this might help people understand why it is the way it is. The people at Skype aren't stupid....far from it. The have 100s of millions of subscribers. They just have to figure away to make it all work and keep everybody happy. Right now it is strictly a VoIP client and one that does work. There was not an easy solution(on this phone) to VoIP before this app.

Upvote 0
i dont think people here think skype is stupid. however the majority of people who use it on the laptop/computer use it for the video chat feature! myself included. the ability to make voip calls is not much of an advantage to many people who dont need to make calls overseas.

my needs for skype are video conference. thats what i think of when i think of skype... so there are clear needs from different parties.

i think some people like to be vocal in their opinions of the app so we can get carried away.... we all just love the evo and just want everything for it NOW... we are just impatient.. :)

Reactions: flyjbaker
Upvote 0
How do we know whether it is using your minutes or not? The call might be going out over 3G but I am willing to bet that it is using minutes. I know at Sprint, this is not a big deal because most of us call other cellphones which is "free" anyway. But just curious.

Using minutes if you make a Skype call to a computer? That wouldn't make sense. Occam's Razor. It seems it would be much easier to modify a program by removing a restriction rather than change the fundamental way the program makes outbound calls.

Upvote 0
Understandable to have it for that purpose but I think I like Google's deployment of that better. The reason it was such a disappointment for the rest of us was that we saw that it could work using the front camera and, while you may just be fine with calling someone when away, I much prefer if I have to be away from loved ones using the video chat. Universally my family prefers it (we are all way spread out) over a simple phone call. Since it doesnt give me something Google Voice cant its redundant.

Its the reason FaceTime got so much hype when the iphone4 came out. It really is an important change in how we communicate across long distances. Unfortunately not everyone has a phone that can do that so it would be stellar if one side could be on a computer.

Upvote 0
Using minutes if you make a Skype call to a computer? That wouldn't make sense. Occam's Razor. It seems it would be much easier to modify a program by removing a restriction rather than change the fundamental way the program makes outbound calls.

I am talking about cellphone plan minutes.....not skype minutes. THE reason that Skype disables the use of it's app over 3G is so people don't use it to circumvent their cell plan. I know this is basically a non-issue on Sprint since most of our calls don't use minutes anyway. But at other carriers that could be an issue. And I am finally starting to understand your usage and get it through my thick skull. I am usually the one that is out of the country and using my phone over wifi to call the states for 2 cents a minute. You are wanting something where you can call a computer overseas while on a 3G connection???....okay, I am a little slow. But makes perfect sense. The question does still remain though.....is it using cellphone minutes from your plan???...just a theoretical question!...still curious. I am pretty sure that Verizon's does....but I am making that statement based on rumor...and thinking like a greedy capitalist.

Upvote 0
It's not working well for me. I've made 5 calls so far, landlines and mobile's, no skype to skype yet, and all of them have had horrible feedback according to the called party. This is via speaker or earpiece over WiFi at home. I use Skype all the time at home and at work so I know my broadband is fine and I have no issues with jitter.

Not sure why its doing it but i'll research it some more. Has anyone had the feedback issues?

Upvote 0
I am talking about cellphone plan minutes.....not skype minutes.

I wasn't referring to Skype minutes. Maybe it's my misconception of how 3G works, but I don't understand how an outbound VOIP call whose destination is a computer can affect cell phone minutes.

Over in the Moment forum a lot of people experience data lockups, where everything associated with the internet doesn't work. But it doesn't affect cellular usage.

Reactions: Las1368
Upvote 0
You are wanting something where you can call a computer overseas while on a 3G connection???

Exactly. Wife's in Japan. She can't call me but she has her laptop in a hotel room with internet access. Without this application (and not have to incur Skype per minute charges) we have to prearrange a time when I'm going to be sitting in front of a computer with Skype. Now, she can call me whenever she wants. With 3G access I don't have to find a hot spot.

And I bet this is the reason Skype didn't include 3G access. They lose out on their own "Skype to cell phone" charges.

Upvote 0
Exactly. Wife's in Japan. She can't call me but she has her laptop in a hotel room with internet access. Without this application (and not have to incur Skype per minute charges) we have to prearrange a time when I'm going to be sitting in front of a computer with Skype. Now, she can call me whenever she wants. With 3G access I don't have to find a hot spot.

And I bet this is the reason Skype didn't include 3G access. They lose out on their own "Skype to cell phone" charges.

Thanks man. Very cool. Gonna have to get my wife set up on her EVO so I can operate the same way. I wonder if this app has battery drain issues?

Reactions: Las1368
Upvote 0

May/may not suit your needs, but iMovicha4EVO in the market does exactly what Fring w/Skype did, over 3g and with or w/o video chat. It's got a desktop client for PC's and Android app for phones. I used it last weekend to video chat with my wife while i was out fishing. Doesn't work "awesome", but works with the exact same performance (same feedback and pixelated image) that Fring did for me. I was hesitant to try it 'cause the reviews in the market were so mixed, but performance-wise i couldn't tell a difference between it and Fring w/Skype. Worth a try anyways, YMMV...

Upvote 0
Over in the Moment forum a lot of people experience data lockups, where everything associated with the internet doesn't work. But it doesn't affect cellular usage.
(Actually, when the radio locks up, it takes the cellular service with it, too; the whole radio is gone, which is why it's called the "Airplane Mode Bug".)

Upvote 0
(Actually, when the radio locks up, it takes the cellular service with it, too; the whole radio is gone, which is why it's called the "Airplane Mode Bug".)

I'm pretty sure I remember someone (maybe a couple of someones) saying that the problem they we're experiencing was not like the Airplane Mode Bug. But it's been a while. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones