• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Skype on the Galaxy Player

I think I know the answers but I'd rather hear it confirmed by people with experience than wait until I can get the device myself - it's better to know what to expect than be disappointed :eek:

I see there have been several updates to the Skype app over the last year or so concerning front camera and rotation on some, but not all phones and in particular Android 2.3 is required for video... etc.

As a UK resident I understand I can only get the player with Android 2.2 so where does that leave the Skype experience? Do we have video chat or not?

Something else I'm wondering that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere so presumably the answer's no... are you able to type messages while in a video call like you can on the PC version? May be an odd question (why type if you can talk?) but if you or your chat partner are in a library etc it makes sense.

It's all well and good saying that the SGP comes with Skype pre-installed but if the functionality is limited then it's not so much of a selling point for me since I'm already struggling to justify the purchase :eek:

I am vaguely aware of alternative apps but no idea what they are like and I can't expect everyone to convert just because I've got a poor device :D :(

Hi,
A a UK user with android 2.2 froyo, I can confirm that skype works fine for chat.
The cameras do work on 2.2, however the rotaion of the device is the issue. on it's side with the home button on the left, both images appear upside down to me, but the sent video is the right way up for the recieving person. Very annoying that they are upside down for me to ook at.
When I first got it, the cameras diddn't even work, so there is progress!

Oh, the headphones have a mic built in (diddn't know till yesterday).
Aslo the recieving person reports the sound echoeing on their side. The mic and speaker are very close together. Headphones or a speaker fix it though.

marcel

PS
can't say about the typing, as have not tried it.

Reactions: ForkliftFred
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones