• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help skype w/video not working anymore

pauly814

Nov 7, 2009
I downloaded the Skype that was altered by xda to work with the thunderbolt. It all worked for a couple days but now there is a problem. Everytime i try to initiate a video call, the application turns into landscape mode and trying to hit the video call option does nothing.

Anyone's Skype working? Which one are you using?

I had been using Skype w video. It was great! I didn't realize how unique a capability. I was Skyping from San Francisco with LTE.

Now after todays update, I get a message,
"Sorry your phone is not able to use this version of Skype. To find out more about Skype on mobile, visit www.skype.com"

Great. Best feature of the Thunderbolt gone.

LAME LAME LAME

Why is all this controlling and restricting what folks can do with their phones useful?

Maybe time to ditch Skype. Is Microsoft to blame?

Upvote 0
I had been using Skype w video. It was great! I didn't realize how unique a capability. I was Skyping from San Francisco with LTE.

"Sorry your phone is not able to use this version of Skype. To find out more about Skype on mobile, visit www.skype.com"

Great. Best feature of the Thunderbolt gone.

LAME LAME LAME

Why is all this controlling and restricting what folks can do with their phones useful?

Maybe time to ditch Skype. Is Microsoft to blame?

I would think that they want to charge for it at some point. Also, it eats upstream bandwidth big time.

Upvote 0

I don't use it often and today I tried my Skype to make a video call and got the same message. Annoying.

Upvote 0
Tempted to try it just to see, but I'm thinking it's gonna require a rooted GB ROM phone to run (based on the post saying "Requires Gingerbread, as always"). but, gonna try anyway just for kicks.

Edit: For those wondering (even though the link makes it seem hopeful), still nothing unless you're rooted. So..still waiting :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones