• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Slightly disappointed by screen - greenish color banding in gray scale

Miths000

Jun 20, 2011
Denmark
I was immediately floored by the incredible blacks on my GS2 when I got it earlier today, but after several hours of use, my overall impression of the screen is that it has the usual quirks I'm starting to get used to after owning two Samsung HDTVs.

While my current one - a 2011 3D plasma bought last month - does have pretty extraordinary image quality, it does have perhaps slightly more visible color dithering than it ought to (fortunately not or only barely visible at normal viewing distance), but my previous Samsung LCD HDTV showed clear light green banding in the gray scale, not at all unlike the Super AMOLED screen on this brand new phone. And with the close distance I have my eyes to a screen of this size, I do notice it regularly, depending on the color composition of the image.

Is this a common trait of the GS2 screen, or have I just once again gotten unlucky in what people on TV tech forums sometimes refer to as "the panel lottery" (seemingly more often about Samsung screens than most other brands)?

It's certainly not a critical issue at all or one I'm likely to bother concerning myself with much further (it's likely to be limited how much time I'll be spending with content where image quality is very important, on a phone display, unlike a TV or a PC monitor), but I must admit I had expected a little better from an OLED display and after all the rave reviews.

Thanks for the link. Interesting explanation - I think I understood some of it ;).
I can understand that some graphical elements may show their flaws (such as a limited color range or whatever the technical term is) more clearly on a great screen than a mediocre one (the interface of a media player I just downloaded, PowerAMP, shows dreadful banding in all but the darkest skin for instance), but I'm nevertheless also seeing slight banding on what looks like high quality, professional photos (albeit in jpeg format) on my H-IPS planel monitor.

Well, as I said, not a terrible problem (although that PowerAMP interface was almost too much for my eyes to bear), but a slightly surprise and disappointment nonetheless - no matter if it's because the screen is not as good as I had expected, or because it's so good that it exposes flaws I (and the content creators) are not used to seeing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones