• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Slim case that makes epic one piece, disables slider

I posted this in another forum as well because I, too, would snap up a one piece case in a heartbeat!!! I NEVER use the physical keyboard....why, oh why won't Sprint give us a keyboard-less version?!?!?
frown.gif

Anyhoo, I would REALLY love just a simple little "bumper" type of thing like the Jphone users need for the death grip nonsense. Just a simple, thin rubber/silicone/tpu ring that would go around the phone, keep it from sliding open, and also provide a little measure of security if it gets dropped on its corners.... Anyone else?

Sounds perfect. I really wish sprint had something like the captivate.. anyways, seido really should make this :)

Upvote 0
I sent this email to Seidio re: the my "bumper" suggestion:

"I understand that Seidio is guaging interest in a one piece case for the Sprint Samsung Epic 4G. What I would REALLY love to see is just a simple little "bumper" type of thing like the iphone users need for the death grip nonsense. Just a simple, thin rubber/silicone/tpu ring that would go around the phone, keep it from sliding open, and also provide a little measure of security if it gets dropped on its corners. For me, there is no need for a bulky case and I, personally, like the feel and look of the phone's battery cover.

There are many Epic users, me included, that NEVER use the slide-out keyboard. I would switch to a keyboardless version of the Epic in a heartbeat if Samsung put one out on Sprint. But in the meantime, I really need something that keeps the phone together, so it doesn't feel like I'm holding two pieces of the phone together. I definitely think there would be a pretty sizeable market for this type of accessory

Just my 2 cents....."

And got a response!

"Thank you Mike! We appreciate the feedback. I will forward this to the product team and have them review it.

Have a great rest of the day,

Jennifer"

Who knows, maybe I'll get my wish!!! Hey, at least I got a response :p

Upvote 0
I sent this email to Seidio re: the my "bumper" suggestion:

"I understand that Seidio is guaging interest in a one piece case for the Sprint Samsung Epic 4G. What I would REALLY love to see is just a simple little "bumper" type of thing like the iphone users need for the death grip nonsense. Just a simple, thin rubber/silicone/tpu ring that would go around the phone, keep it from sliding open, and also provide a little measure of security if it gets dropped on its corners. For me, there is no need for a bulky case and I, personally, like the feel and look of the phone's battery cover.

There are many Epic users, me included, that NEVER use the slide-out keyboard. I would switch to a keyboardless version of the Epic in a heartbeat if Samsung put one out on Sprint. But in the meantime, I really need something that keeps the phone together, so it doesn't feel like I'm holding two pieces of the phone together. I definitely think there would be a pretty sizeable market for this type of accessory

Fantastic idea!

Ill take One of those please! :D

Upvote 0
I am in for the one-piece, I do not ever use the keyboard. I have the Seidio Active X case and it just makes my phone way too bulky. Seidio, please come out with a think 1 piece rubber slip on case. I would buy one today if it was out.

Has anyone seen these cases ? Looks like this is a one piece, I may try it out since it is so inexpensive.

Upvote 0
Such an odd topic. I bough this thing for the keyboard, anyone who doesn't want the keyboard should have waited for a different phone.

Not all of us bought this phone for the keyboard (..I know that I didn't). I purchased this phone because of the screen and the form factor/design of the phone. Waiting for a different phone wasn't an option, and neither was changing providers.

Upvote 0
Exactly, sedan! Not really an odd topic when you think of it...I knew I wasn't going to use the keyboard when I got it, but the rest of the phone is perfect!

A couple of years ago, my buddy bought a brand new Nissan Maxima. The one he looked at was the exact color and model he wanted, but also came with heated steering whel, power memory adjustments, and some other techno doodads that can just break down... He knew he would never use those features, and didn't want them, but he bought the car anyway because of the other great features of the car....same thing!!

Upvote 0
Hi,
I realize this is a long-silent thread, but in case anyone is still watching it, I have found a potential candidate case. The PDAir anodized aluminum case for Epic 4g (PDair Samsung Epic 4G Aluminum Case - Open Screen Design (Black)) is a single piece which clips into place, restricting movement of the keyboard.

It's probably less than ideal: a little bulky, non-rubberized exterior, open access to phone's buttons (instead of fitted, rubber button coverings). However, this is the only case I have been able to find for this phone that is a single piece and restricts the keyboard.

I am considering buying one, pending information about it's overall dimensions and weight. If I purchase one, I will post again with a review for anyone who is still interested.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I realize this is a long-silent thread, but in case anyone is still watching it, I have found a potential candidate case. The PDAir anodized aluminum case for Epic 4g (PDair Samsung Epic 4G Aluminum Case - Open Screen Design (Black)) is a single piece which clips into place, restricting movement of the keyboard.

It's probably less than ideal: a little bulky, non-rubberized exterior, open access to phone's buttons (instead of fitted, rubber button coverings). However, this is the only case I have been able to find for this phone that is a single piece and restricts the keyboard.

I am considering buying one, pending information about it's overall dimensions and weight. If I purchase one, I will post again with a review for anyone who is still interested.

Hey, thanks. Yes, please do a review with pics would be awesome.

Upvote 0
Yes that is correct. When i was at sprint and had the evo in one hand and the epic in the other and tried a few things at the same time the epic won hands down. and the screen display blew htc evo and the htc away. had the chance to see an evo 3d from London and must say it is all that! my epic is a great phone no doubt but the fact it does not click shut or lock when ever it is in my hand it feels like its sliding apart. Maybe just me but it is big and have to carry it in my pocket and when i take it out it feels awkward when handling.

Upvote 0
I have the PDAir case.

The good: holds phone solidly closed, you can easily remove the phone to change batteries or use a GameGripper, and it doesn't interfere with the keyboard at all.

The bad: the aluminum is kind of slippery, and the metal case noticeably attenuates wi-fi and wimax. It affects 3G, bluetooth, and gps a little, but it *really* hurts 4G and wi-fi. The horizontal bar across the top of the screen makes pulldown notifications a pain to deal with, but that's frankly the least of its problems (and one I personally dealt with by filing away the center part).

The awful: I'm not sure whether it's the electrically-conductive aluminum coming into contact with my grounded body, the foam padding (that seems to be antistatic conductive foam) on the inside, or both, but I have horrible problems with cat hair triggering phantom touchscreen presses, particularly the 'back' button.

The signal attenuation annoys me, but it's the phantom presses that make me keep throwing the case back in the drawer in frustration and going back to my ActiveX (which itself gets thrown into the drawer after I get frustrated by the way it makes the camera button dysfunctional and limits my use by making the battery such a pain to change.

A few weeks ago, I tried painting the case with Plasti-Dip. It made the case nicer to hold, but had no noticeable effect on the phantom keypresses (I thought the insulating effect would solve them for me), and the Plasti-Dip itself all peeled off within a matter of days (if I decide to redo it, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy a quart of their primer, which apparently will solve the problem completely, but is impossible to buy offline and costs about $30 online with shipping). As an alternative to the primer, I might try removing the hinge pin, scraping out the foam, and just dip-coating the whole thing (which would keep it from peeling off by transforming it into a solid coating that completely encases the metal, instead of just rubberized paint clinging to a slippery surface.

I personally suggested that they basically tweak the design to eliminate much of the rear metal (let's be honest, if I had to choose between signal attenuation and a 99-cent replacement back from eBay, I'll risk having to buy a new back), cut an access notch into the mid-center of the top (to allow pulling down the notification bar), eliminate the interior foam, and literally dip-coat them with Plasti-Dip at the factory as part of the manufacturing process. Assuming that fixed the problem with stray capacitive triggering, it would make the case just about perfect by eliminating its other problems as well.

With a little extra work, they could even pair it with a new back designed to fit a Yoobao extended battery that maintains the original back's form-factor everywhere besides the pregnant battery lump projecting squarely from the rear, and cut a slightly larger square hole into the lower half of the case's back to allow the battery bulge to project through the hole.

Anyway... do I recommend the case in its present form? Maybe. If ~$30 is no big deal to you, definitely give it a shot. You might get lucky and not have the false-firing touchscreen problem I do. If you think the case is really expensive, and you're agonizing over it... probably not. It's frustrating, because this case creatively solves several fundamental problems that other Epic cases have, but unfortunately introduces a few brand new ones of its own that might or might not be more annoying overall than the ones it solves.

Reactions: badankles
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones