• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Slow Charging?

nsa_sailor

Android Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2011
Wichita
For some reason, my battery dropped to about 58% this morning. Noticed that the service in the building I was in was only 1X. Could that cause excessive battery usage?

Anyway, now I've got the phone plugged into a usb charger (Motorola 5.1v, 850 ma) and it hasn't budged from the 58% in two hours. The phone says it's charging, but I'm not seeing any change.

850ma charger delivers so little power that the phone will basically use it as fast as the charger delivers it so it will charge extremely slow if you dont touch it for a while. If you keep checking the battery status or text/email or whatever then it wont charge at all or even loose battery.

You have to remember this phones battery is massive so to charge it you need a pretty powerful charger. The wall charger that came with the phone is a 2A charger so its more than twice as powerful as what you are trying to use.

Im guessing your trying to charge it from a computer since you are inside a building and this phone just doesnt really charge worth a damn over USB from a computer. Im not sure computer USBs pack the power needed to charge it at a decent rate.

Good thing is since the battery is so huge 58% should last an entire day even with moderate use, but if you are using it non stop you might be in trouble. And the USB charger will still help from making it go down very fast.

Reactions: nsa_sailor
Upvote 0
I was going to post a new thread, but this topic is pretty close to the lines I was going to go down with my own, so I'll just put my question(s) here - I know the differences in output with the charger itself, but what about the USB cords?

I ask because I noticed my old 1A charger that I used for my old phone took all night to charge the Note2 from 58% full. So I wanted to bring my old 2A charger (for my Galaxy Tab 8.9") to work for those "just in case I need a quick top-off" times. I downloaded a battery/current widget to see if I was getting a full 2A charge, but I only got 1A.

I'll test this the widget when I get home with the official charger that came with the Note2, but could the cord be the limiting factor here? I'm using a monoprice cable I bought a few years ago. If it is the cable, what do I need to look for when ordering new cables?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I brought my 2A charger to work today, but still not getting any better charge rate. I too am using an older USB cable that was from the Droid X (which is where the 0.85A charger came from).

Hiya Sailor :D
The included usb cord AND plug should charge your battery in just a tad over 2 hrs.
It's very easy to use a different USB cord since they all look alike but they all don't function alike.
I've got several here at home and other than the one that came with the phone, I have one other I can use.
The rest charge my battery at a snails pace.

Also, as far as the plug, the only other plug I know that charges fast like the one that came with your phone is an iPad (not iPhone) charger.
I use that too.

If your battery is still not charging quickly using what came in the box, get the battery exchanged.

Upvote 0
What numbers are you looking at to get the charge rate? I installed it, but wasn't sure.
My readings:
Electric Current: 1 mA
Voltage: 4.069V

I was using the current reading. But I'm starting to think the widget is not 100% accurate for our phones. I'm using the stock charger and the widget still says 1 mA. Reading some reviews makes note that Samsung devices don't always report the same way as other phones and can leade to bad values.

Upvote 0
I was using the current reading. But I'm starting to think the widget is not 100% accurate for our phones. I'm using the stock charger and the widget still says 1 mA. Reading some reviews makes note that Samsung devices don't always report the same way as other phones and can leade to bad values.

I've seen many of the devs post special notes for Samsung users regarding these types of widgets not being accurate.
I don't use them since I haven't had any slow charging.

Upvote 0
Ok, here is a little EE101 :)

Yes, our Note 2 requires 2A charger. That is how much current it "sinks" during charging, so you need a charger that can "source" it. If you can't source it, it will take a very long time to charge it up. For example a typical usb port on your laptop is 0.5A (since most of the external devices doesn't require too much current, and also to prevent you draining your battery on laptop).

Furthermore, when you are dealing with high Amps, you need a thicker wire designed for it. Wires have AWG rating depending on the diameter of its cross section. The thicker the wire, the more current it can handle. You can take a look at the chart here: http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm For 2.2A rating you need at least 26AWG rated wire. Both Samsung and Motorola (I'm coming off Droid X myself) come with OEM USB cable where power wires are 24-26 AWG rated.
So if you are going to get charger which can't support 2A and uses thin usb wire designed for PC - it will take you forever to charge it, and while you are charging your phone it's discharging at a higher rate.

Its like an analogy of filling a bucket with a water while the bucket has a hole in it. If your pipe is too thin - it will take forever to fill it up and while you are doing that water will drain through a hole. I you have pipe wide enough but not pumping enough water - water will drain quickly as well. So you need to pump enough water and use a wide enough pipe to fill it up quickly :)

Here is a perfect wire for a job at Amazon from Monoprice (6ft, $3.82 shipped): http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Plated-24AWG-micro-B-Ferrite/dp/B003L18S0E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355596592&sr=8-2&keywords=28+AWG+usb - it has 24 AWG power wires to handle up to 3.5A of current.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones