• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I get two different types of SMS audio messages on my Galaxy S20. One I can hit an icon and speaker phone it and volume control. The other only is speaker phone and no volume control.
Is it the other person sending it? She has a Droid Note 2 phone.
Here is a pic of the two different types of messages in the SMS history.
thumbnail (2).jpg

Last edited:
Well SMS is text only so it cannot have an embedded audio file in it. Your examples appear to be two different types, the first being a SMS message that apparently contains a web page link to an audio file (it will allow you to play it, as indicated, as a convenience measure), and the second being a MMS message that does have an embedded attachment (the amr file) that will either play when you tap on it or you need to download and then play it.

Upvote 0
I know SMS is text. But you can send voice messages via the OEM SMS messaging app on the phone. You hold the icon in this picture, speak, and it records your voice. Then you send it. Hers is the same app, but why are there two different audio files sent from her phone when she does it the same way. Is it a cell network issue with roaming, setting in phone ?
Click on picture to see blue circle around icon

Attachments

• thumbnail (3).jpg
    thumbnail (3).jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 33
Upvote 0
There is a difference between a text-only message (SMS) and an actual audio file embedded into a text message (MMS) despite your arguments otherwise.
There's also a difference between a SMS message that contains a web link pointing to an audio file and a MMS message that might possibly contain the audio file itself. Each one has to be handled differently by whichever text messaging app you're using, the former follows that web link to the online audio file, while the latter contains that actual audio file.

Upvote 0
There is a difference between a text-only message (SMS) and an actual audio file embedded into a text message (MMS) despite your arguments otherwise.
There's also a difference between a SMS message that contains a web link pointing to an audio file and a MMS message that might possibly contain the audio file itself. Each one has to be handled differently by whichever text messaging app you're using, the former follows that web link to the online audio file, while the latter contains that actual audio file.
So you have no answer?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones