• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SMS coming in as e-mail

Hey there, guys... got a new weird issue.

Recently, I've received a few texts that didn't actually some in as texts-- they came in as e-mails. That is to say, the person texted me from their phone, but I got an e-mail rather than an SMS. The e-mail address they come from is usually the sender's number @ the carrier (verizonwireless, etc.).

And then just the other day, I sent a text to someone, and they said the same thing happened to them: my text didn't come in as a text, but as an e-mail from my number @ verizon... you get the idea.

It's only happened a couple of times, and I can't seem to find any specific common factors among the incidents (contact, carrier, type of phone, etc.). I'm using the stock messaging app and the stock e-mail app.

I didn't see any threads like this when I searched through the forums, so... any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks!

Hey there, guys... got a new weird issue.

Recently, I've received a few texts that didn't actually some in as texts-- they came in as e-mails. That is to say, the person texted me from their phone, but I got an e-mail rather than an SMS. The e-mail address they come from is usually the sender's number @ the carrier (verizonwireless, etc.).

And then just the other day, I sent a text to someone, and they said the same thing happened to them: my text didn't come in as a text, but as an e-mail from my number @ verizon... you get the idea.

It's only happened a couple of times, and I can't seem to find any specific common factors among the incidents (contact, carrier, type of phone, etc.). I'm using the stock messaging app and the stock e-mail app.

I didn't see any threads like this when I searched through the forums, so... any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Are they picking you from the contact list? Perhaps they are using your email address instead of your phone number when they send?

You can try it yourself. Send an sms to your own email address instead of your phone number, and it will do as you describe.

I know the sms app textra has a setting to show only mobile phone numbers from the contact list.

Reactions: whitehat and Thom
Upvote 0
FWIW: I have Google Voice set up to capture my texts and convert to emails. I doubt that's what you're experiencing, but in the interest of science I throw it in.

Also as you may know from this experience, every text address has an associated email address, so it's perfectly possible to handle text interchanges via email. Back in medieval times, when I was paying for each text, I set it up to come in this way, but it was too weird to use email for texting and I never used the feature.

Again, I expect that I've just added a ton of useless (yet true!) info to the discussion. But it might help some smarter person figure out what's going on. [Here's my theory about computers and similar devices: they appear in the short term to save us time, except that all of that time saved gets stored and comes back on us when an error occurs or some problem requires hours of diagnosis!]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones