• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SMS sender ID does not identify inbound SMS numbers with (9)

sancho_s

Lurker
Oct 12, 2021
I live in Argentina.
Whenever I receive a phone call from +54 11 xxxx-xxxx and I have that number associated with Roger in my contacts, Roger is identified. But if I don't pick up for whatever reason, I get an SMS reporting the missed call. The number which originates the SMS is reported as +54 9 11 xxxx-xxxx, and Roger is not identified. If I add +54 9 11 xxxx-xxxx as a number for Roger, the SMS ID is correctly updated, which confirms the SMS app has access to my contacts. I shouldn't need replicating the number for all my contacts.

Currently using Android 11, Samsung S10e.
This was working fine in my previous Android 8, Samsung J7 prime, prior to my Smart Switch.
See details below.

How can I fix this?

After trying a solution in Android Enthusiasts I realized the problem was the extra 9.
I didn't try syncing numbers stored in the phone with my Google account as in another solution in Android Enthusiasts (and I am not sure my problem is the same as that other). SMS ID should not rely on Google, and I didn't need that with Android 8. I guess the OS (or the app?) should take care of that.

======================================================================

More details - How this was working before the phone switch
I was using a Samsung J7 prime with Android 8, with the same sim card and mobile provider as I use now. I am right now checking in my old phone a message that I received, with number +54 9 11 xxxx-xxxx, and SMS ID is correct. The same message, in my new phone (transferred via Smart Switch) is not SMS-IDentified.

More details - How are phone numbers built
Phone numbers are built as +(Country) (Area) (Number) as usual, with a possible extra 9 after the country code, or a possible extra 15 after the area code.
The historical reasons for those extra numbers, and when were they mandatory (calling from abroad/within Argentina, phone call/SMS, calling from mobile/landline, calling to mobile/landline, etc.) are a separate issue. These rules kept confusing people, in particular foreigners. Nowadays networks are smart enough, the rules are mostly (I wouldn't dare saying 100%) not needed. You could also use +(Country) (Area) (No.) from within Argeninta; before, that was not allowed, 0(Area) (No.) was needed from within Argentina. I am not certain, but I think even (Area) (No.) works. This is similar to what happens in other countries.

So if I call using +54 9 11 xxxx-xxxx, it will likely work well, the same as if I use +54 11 xxxx-xxxx or 011 xxxx-xxxx.

54: Argentina
9: Prefix for mobile numbers
11: Buenos Aires
xxxx-xxxx: phone number

Then there is the issue of Caller / SMS ID for inbound calls and messages.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones