• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Snapdragon vs Omap

Snapdragon sounds "cooler" than OMAP, so take THAT! ;)

You folks do know you will be on the low end of tech totem pole in a few months too, don't you? Dual cores are coming- marketing departments next buzz words ;)

added:

Little fish, big fish syndrome is perpetual :)

Dual Cores with an hour of talk time? hehe. battery life will be so bad on those phones. :/

Upvote 0
and you do know that the people that buy the dual cores will be on the low end a few months after they get theirs, don't you? ..... i realize my phone will only be the latest and greatest for a few months...but if you keep waiting for the latest and greatest you will probably go without. I'm fine with it , it is the way this hobby is. Nothing you can do about it.

Yep, hence my statement:

Little fish, big fish syndrome is perpetual.

A little mini-poem:

Alas, the tech moves fast you see, so I will hold on until LTE :)

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
There's a lot of good information in this thread and there's also a lot of misinformation. I'm not going to call anyone out but I would suggest that people who aren't completely and totally sure sure of something(you know who you are) not say things just for the heck of it because it may be incorrect and someone who doesn't know better might read it as fact. Spreading misinformation isn't good.

These two pages give some good information about the technology pushing the Droid X.

Motorola Droid X: Thoroughly Reviewed - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Motorola Droid X: Thoroughly Reviewed - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Upvote 0
There's a lot of good information in this thread and there's also a lot of misinformation. I'm not going to call anyone out but I would suggest that people who aren't completely and totally sure sure of something(you know who you are) not say things just for the heck of it because it may be incorrect and someone who doesn't know better might read it as fact. Spreading misinformation isn't good.

These two pages give some good information about the technology pushing the Droid X.

Ahhh, you beat me to it. I was going to mention the review by Anandtech and specifically point them to pages 4 & 5, as you did. I have not seen a better breakdown of the Droid X then what they provided.

Upvote 0
To be fair to all of us that posted in this thread...it was before the X came out. Alot of us were going by info that was out at the time.

Anandtech's review was just done recently...after the X came out.

Like Anandtech's review is the first I seen that said it still used LPDDR1.

Upvote 0
To be fair to all of us that posted in this thread...it was before the X came out. Alot of us were going by info that was out at the time.

Nope. The X's _GPU_ uses LPDDR1. The system RAM is LPDDR2.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0

Ahhh I didn't pay attention to the post dates, my mistake, carry on!

Upvote 0

What exactly do you think has been misrepresented?

Upvote 0
What exactly do you think has been misrepresented?

To be honest the posts that I think he is referring to are dated as was already mentioned.

One item that I saw which could be considered misrepresented can be found in one of your previous posts stating:
Lastly, the OMAP is packaged with the PowerVR SGX530 GPU which runs at 430MHz

This is false, as the Droid X uses the SGX530 GPU at 200MHz, not 430MHz.

Upvote 0
To be honest the posts that I think he is referring to are dated as was already mentioned.

One item that I saw which could be considered misrepresented can be found in one of your previous posts stating:
Lastly, the OMAP is packaged with the PowerVR SGX530 GPU which runs at 430MHz

This is false, as the Droid X uses the SGX530 GPU at 200MHz, not 430MHz.

Good. Looking back, I'm uncertain if that was a transposition error on my part or just bad research. In any case, you're right; it runs at 200MHz.

More troubling, though, is the memory bandwidth issue. After looking into things again, I'm certainly going to have to back off my claim that the X uses LPDDR2. As of now, I'm unsure exactly what it uses, but I'm leaning towards a modified version of LPDDR1.

The reasons for thinking it uses LPDDR2 are circumstantial at best: There was speculation before it was released, insiders said it had upgraded memory performance, etc. Most convincingly, though, is that everyone is pretty certain that the Galaxy S series has LPDDR2, and the X and Galaxy S' perform about the same on memory benchmarks (see here).

On the other hand, Anandtech (which is a _very_ trusted source) and another place I came across causally mention that the TI wants to use LPDDR2 in the OMAP 4 series (implying that it doesn't use it in the OMAP 3 series). So, if this is true, how do we explain the X's improved memory performance?

You can see from this picture that the X's memory scores are about the same as the Galaxy S, but also much higher than the Snapdragon. We know the Snapdragon uses single-channel LPDDR1 and, from what I can tell, the Galaxy uses single-channel LPDDR2. To fully take advantage of DDR2 bandwidth, though, you need to dual-channel, so there's still headroom on the Galaxy. So, if the X is using LPDDR1, why is it benchmarking faster than the Snapdragon's memory? Could it be clocked to run at a higher frequency? Perhaps the X's LPDDR1 is just faster than the snapdragon's LPDDR1? But, again, how to explain the similar performance between the X's memory and the Galaxy's? Is the same bug which affected the Galaxy's I/O performance also affecting it's memory performance? I've seen no reason to think so. Is the X actually running the same single-channel LPDD2 as the Galaxy? I don't know.

So, to sum up: I don't know what memory the X uses. What I do know is that it's faster than the snapdragon's LPDDR1 memory and is also possibly as fast as the Galaxy's single-channel LPDDR2. Sorry for any confusion.

Upvote 0
So, to sum up: I don't know what memory the X uses. What I do know is that it's faster than the snapdragon's LPDDR1 memory and is also possibly as fast as the Galaxy's single-channel LPDDR2. Sorry for any confusion.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've tried TI's website and numerous searches without any good results as to the X's memory. There is almost no mention about LPDDR1 and LPDDR2 when discussing the TI's 3630.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones