• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So has sprint stopped selling the EVO

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you figure that Sprint pre-ordered a half million phones, and sold out in a week. HTC has 20-30 different models in production at any given time. They are releasing a new device about every 2 weeks - and most of those are going foreign.

My guess is Sprint isn't able to get more than 10,000 units a week from HTC - which with 2500 stores nationwide, means each location would see no more than 4 units a week. Combine that with the fact that Sprint is trying to stock them online, take care of customer returns and get them to their 3rd party retailers as well, I bet the average store sees no more than 1 to 2 a week.

The simple fact is, Sprint really underestimated the draw of the EVO and that's a bit sad. As long as people continue to talk about it, people will want one. Notice the ads of TV have really pulled back from the EVO and are now pushing the very well stocked Epic?

The annoyance I have is that HTC is launching their Desire HD overseas now which is built on the same chassis as the EVO with the major difference being the GSM vs. CDMA chipset. Is the problem with the EVO the fact that they can't make them, or that they can't get the physical materials to construct the CDMA version?

Upvote 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDivot
im not a troll, im just a somewhat impatient advantage club member who has been waiting for close to 4 months for an evo with no definitive end in sight :p

In other words, im just bitter :D

You have to keep checking the website. Thats how I got mine. The Evo was sold out for over a month then in begining of Sept I was able to order one.

VaDivot is referring to advantage club members not being able to obtain the Evo yet. And they won't be available until the demand is met for the general public.

Upvote 0
The annoyance I have is that HTC is launching their Desire HD overseas now which is built on the same chassis as the EVO with the major difference being the GSM vs. CDMA chipset. Is the problem with the EVO the fact that they can't make them, or that they can't get the physical materials to construct the CDMA version?

i think this thinking is a major flaw in American thinking.

there are other users in the world and have needs and rights to new tech as well. I am sure like any company they have a finite number of things that can produce. They allocate production by demand and as best they can by what they think the market needs. They come up with these numbers of demand from market survey and what companies think they can sell by how much they order.

Sprint gave them a number of the EVO they wanted. Sprint may have been low in there estimates (hind sight being and all that jazz).

My guess:
HTC had made their business production plans...
USA first with EVO ..
then next quarter release in Europe..
then to other locations..and so fourth...

They needed to up the anti because of competition... so they made the EVO a little better and called it Desire HD. They could have called it EVO HD or EVO 2; I am guessing marketing saw that Desire was better for what ever reason.

So they have made promises to other countries /companies that they must fulfill and still try to add more production for Sprint/EVO.

Do you think Americans are the only people that can use EVOs? We do get spoiled .. dont we? :D
Think of the bigger picture...Think of a global economy and we are all looking for what is greatest and newest.

Upvote 0
Well for my market these are still in short supply. Its a shame too being we are a 4G market. The best thing about it is we were pushing the epic hard when it released but customers were still willing to wait for an evo. From my understanding from customers the corperate sprint store here in town stopped putting people on there list right before the epic came out because they couldn't break under 150 people waiting. Just keep looking they are out there.

Upvote 0
I watched the web site for days after it came out until I saved up money and the minute I went to buy one online they were sold out. Same with both the local stores. I got put on a waiting list at one of the stores and it came in two weeks later.... after I had to use the money I had saved up for a family emergency.

I watched the web site again for weeks thinking if they had them anywhere, it would be online... No luck at all.

Finally I got fed up and called the local corporate store to complain. They had them!

I went out to pick them up and had a mini rant with the rep there about how they're so hard to get a hold of. According to her corporate stores are getting them first, then third party resellers (many "Sprint stores" are in fact third party resellers as well).

So, find a corporate store and get put on a waiting list. They get first pick of the shipments. Also, according to the folks at this store only corporate stores can authorize certain discounts so you can get a much better deal on your bill though them. That's something that I can verify as I've bought phones at both the local third part repair shop and the local corporate sales shop. I've never been offered the discounts I get at the corporate store when visiting the "Sprint" repair shop.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones