• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So I'm gonna ask - Vanilla Lockscreen...what's the big deal?

ok... here's the big deal (sorry but this will probably step on a lot of toes)..

the reason that the vanilla lock screen as well as the white task bar and other cosmetic changes are hugely popular is.... because it allows people to take the already modified GUI (SenseUI) and make it look just like every other plain Android phone out there... I had the vanilla lock screen for a while.. yay.. it looks like the one my wife has on her moment and looks just like my friend's Droid.. it slides across the screen like an iPhone..

I know that the biggest reason we root our phones is to customize it beyond what was provided.. but why downgrade to make it look like it's stock? how many other Android phones have a lock screen that you slide down to unlock? plus with the htc lock screen you can use the built in htc clock for alarms.. instead of replacing it with a (yet again) vanilla android one..

If someone wants to make their phone look like every other Android phone, that's of course it their choice.. for me.. I say be different.. if you're going to customize, do it.. but make it look like something other than vanilla.. I can bet that the guys that have a vanilla OS by default are changing it to look like something custom..

that's just my $.02

now to go look through the 2.1 catalog again... not happy with the rosie in DC

Upvote 0
ok... here's the big deal (sorry but this will probably step on a lot of toes)..

the reason that the vanilla lock screen as well as the white task bar and other cosmetic changes are hugely popular is.... because it allows people to take the already modified GUI (SenseUI) and make it look just like every other plain Android phone out there... I had the vanilla lock screen for a while.. yay.. it looks like the one my wife has on her moment and looks just like my friend's Droid.. it slides across the screen like an iPhone..

I know that the biggest reason we root our phones is to customize it beyond what was provided.. but why downgrade to make it look like it's stock? how many other Android phones have a lock screen that you slide down to unlock? plus with the htc lock screen you can use the built in htc clock for alarms.. instead of replacing it with a (yet again) vanilla android one..

If someone wants to make their phone look like every other Android phone, that's of course it their choice.. for me.. I say be different.. if you're going to customize, do it.. but make it look like something other than vanilla.. I can bet that the guys that have a vanilla OS by default are changing it to look like something custom..

that's just my $.02

now to go look through the 2.1 catalog again... not happy with the rosie in DC

Good commentary. My take is that most folks find, once they get to customizing the Hero, they can do alot with it. So, changing a lock screen, or luncher, or whatever, is fun. Why not? Once I started using ZenEXP, I found I realy liked the blue highlighting (and in things like unread mail, wi-fi widget, etc) over the green on most of the other ROMS. Personal preference. Would I have cared if I had never seen the blue? Probably not. The launcher worked fine the way it is on Stock roms, but I have grown to prefer the one used with some of the custom roms. I have yet to even consider the different lock screens. So I have no opinion on them.

RE: looking thru the 2.1 cataloge...I don't remember if you posted an opnion on Zen EXP. Why not have a look? It even has landscape home screens. (I'm not sure exactly what is refered to as "Rosie"...is this Sense?

Upvote 0
snap20100623_031556.png

Here's the rotary style, there's a version on XDA for Fresh 2.1.2 by jchisurf I believe.

Upvote 0
RE: looking thru the 2.1 cataloge...I don't remember if you posted an opnion on Zen EXP. Why not have a look? It even has landscape home screens. (I'm not sure exactly what is refered to as "Rosie"...is this Sense?

ZenEXP has a broken Gmail as well as that annoying text alert if you get a VM.. I did give it a trial run one day a couple weeks ago..it was different..and different is always good.. I didn't like iPhone look to the icons/buttons... I know there's a patch to fix that which makes a HUGE difference in the look (looks MUCH better).. if the VVM part worked without sending 1-3 txt messages and if Gmail was working correctly then I'd run that one.. it was fast and it was stable.. I could always setup GV as my voice mail and not get the txt messages but that still doesn't fix Gmail not syncing

Upvote 0
ZenEXP has a broken Gmail as well as that annoying text alert if you get a VM.. I did give it a trial run one day a couple weeks ago..it was different..and different is always good.. I didn't like iPhone look to the icons/buttons... I know there's a patch to fix that which makes a HUGE difference in the look (looks MUCH better).. if the VVM part worked without sending 1-3 txt messages and if Gmail was working correctly then I'd run that one.. it was fast and it was stable.. I could always setup GV as my voice mail and not get the txt messages but that still doesn't fix Gmail not syncing

Yes, I was very upset with the "text with VVM" problem, but using Handcent fixed this for me, 100%. I just blacklisted the text that comes in from 9016, and it is a done teal. (And with the recent update of Handcent, it now shows the contact's pictures in the actual conversation, like the stock app). The icon fix was easy, and made a world of difference. The Gmail issue? I use the stock email app...15 minute updates are good enough for me. If anyone needs me for anything more urgently, a text message or phone call works. I realy like this ROM! :)

(Kelmar...Thanks again for your suggestions, encouragement, help and support! Without you, I'd still be experiencing the lag and slowness of the other roms. Keep after rne about the GV thing... ;))

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized this isn't the Zen thread. OOPS!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones