1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General So when the ICS update hits...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Xphyle, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Xphyle

Xphyle Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    I have a question for those knowledgeable on such things. I rooted my Acer A500 a couple months back. Using latest Thor rom (non ICS). Put that on there by following a Youtube video.

When the new official ICS Rom hits, can I just download it and put it on my SD and install it via the recovery menu? I'm guessing I will lose root? Will it wipe the tablet and all my apps/files? How is this going to go down? Should I wait a few days later and install the official ROM minus the bloatware that will inevitably be released on xda? Thoughts?

Thanks,

X

Advertisement

2. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

Apr 20, 2011
    Work to live, not the other way round!!
    Sheffield, South Yorkshire
    Hey Xphyle

It's not a good idea to try and get an OTA update over the top of a custom ROM. If I were you, I'd return the tablet to stock, so you can take the OTA.

If you want a rooted version of the stock ROM, they are usually released on XDA a couple of days after the official release (I am maintaining the Root Guide sticky and will try to get a link put on there when it is released).

Xphyle likes this.
  3. Xphyle

Xphyle Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Thanks DURX. I'll check back here on the 27th or shortly thereafter. Please update when you can.

Best,

X

4. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

Apr 20, 2011
    Work to live, not the other way round!!
    Sheffield, South Yorkshire
    No worries... as and when I see the rooted stock, I'll post a link :)