• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So who's going to be getting this?

If it uses the same synaptics clearpad 2000 touch sensor as the desire and N1, then probably not.

Oh and some interesting news here from electric pig:

The HTC Desire HD will be out on all network operators in the UK, except O2. When asked about why O2 weren’t joining the party, Jon French from HTC, said, rather mysteriously: “That question will be answered very shortly

Maybe some bigger and greater device like maybe a HTC Desire HDX or HDZ?

Upvote 0
I'm sure it wasn't so long ago that AMOLED was the best thing ever and these forums featured posts moaning about SLCD, but now the HD comes along and it's a different story!

I reckon my AMOLED Desire screen will just about last the next 14 months of my contract ;), so it's hardly an issue worth mentioning is it? (at a constant 8 hours a day these screens will last at least five years, so I reckon the 2 hours or so of total display time each day won't give me too many problems). Honestly, we're talking about tiny amounts of battery power being saved!

I notice that both new Desires have touch buttons on them, not physical buttons like the original.

The HD is a great looking phone, but I'm still more interested in the updates to Sense than I am the HD itself.

Upvote 0
I'm sure it wasn't so long ago that AMOLED was the best thing ever and these forums featured posts moaning about SLCD, but now the HD comes along and it's a different story!

I reckon my AMOLED Desire screen will just about last the next 14 months of my contract ;), so it's hardly an issue worth mentioning is it? (at a constant 8 hours a day these screens will last at least five years, so I reckon the 2 hours or so of total display time each day won't give me too many problems). Honestly, we're talking about tiny amounts of battery power being saved!

I notice that both new Desires have touch buttons on them, not physical buttons like the original.

The HD is a great looking phone, but I'm still more interested in the updates to Sense than I am the HD itself.

It's not clear what you're talking about, at first you seem to be talking about screen degredation (which I never mentioned and as you say is not a real issue, although AMOLED screens have more problems it shouldn't effect somone before about 5 years), but then you mention battery life.

Also on modern phones the display takes up the majority of battery drain so I doubt it will be insignificant.

I also wasn't criticising AMOLED it has some distinct advantages over LCD (ridiculously high contrast levels for example) I was just mentioning SLCD power saving in addition to the power saving of the 45nm processor the other poster mentioned.

Further I was pointing out that despite this we don't know exactly what the power consumption savings will be like when compared with the reduced battery size.

So I'm not quite sure why you are replying to me as if I am criticising your Desire and it's AMOLED screen.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Interestingly although HTC claim SLCD uses less power than AMOLED engadget did a little test and it looked the otherway around....

Spot the difference: HTC Desire's SLCD versus AMOLED -- Engadget

Seems like quite a big difference (30%) so maybe it's just that the _new_ SLCD Desire's battery wasn't conditioned yet, ie could have used a few more charge/discharge cycles.

Still, quite interesting.

This doesn't surprise me, by real world usage I meant web browsing, reading texts using apps etc (of course phoning is also real world usage but doesn't use the screen). All things with lighter colours which AMOLED requires a lot of power to produce. Videos etc tend to have darker colours which AMOLED is far superior at. So I guess it depends what you tend to use your phone for more, for me web pages etc = real world usage, for someone else it might not.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the engadget test was watching a video.

Upvote 0
This doesn't surprise me, by real world usage I meant web browsing, reading texts using apps etc (of course phoning is also real world usage but doesn't use the screen). All things with lighter colours which AMOLED requires a lot of power to produce. Videos etc tend to have darker colours which AMOLED is far superior at. So I guess it depends what you tend to use your phone for more, for me web pages etc = real world usage, for someone else it might not.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the engadget test was watching a video.

Wasn't aware of the different power use profiles for the two techs. That is quite interesting.

I'm still mulling moving from my Galaxy S. The thing that's most likely to stop me is that quality of SLCD vs Super AMOLED :/

Upvote 0
Wasn't aware of the different power use profiles for the two techs. That is quite interesting.

I'm still mulling moving from my Galaxy S. The thing that's most likely to stop me is that quality of SLCD vs Super AMOLED :/

I'm still choosing between the two.

Galaxy S Pros:

Slightly Faster (though with lag bugs atm but set to be fixed)
FFC (I don't care about this THAT much really, it's just nice to have the option)
Super AMOLED display.
Lighter
Potentialy massive aftermarket community (released on all 4 major carriers in the US and selling incredibly well elsewhere).
Headphone slot on the top
Hot swappable memory.
Potential for extended battery is higher with a removeable back
Higher internal Memory.
Available now
Swype Pre-loaded
Gorilla glass screen.

Desire HD pros

Probably better camera (mexapixels don't mean everything so we can't be sure)
Bigger screen
Regular pixel config not pentile matrix like on SAmoled.
Sense = better than Touchwiz
New sense features on top of this.
Nicer build quality.
Boot time
Made by a more reliable company.
Better GPS
Extra Ram
Notification light (I think).
Camera Flash.

That's what I have so far. A quick glance would say Galaxy S wins but not all of these items are equal, for example the bigger screen is a real big plus for me (giant hands) and I don't really care about FFC that much.

Can anyone add to either list?

Upvote 0
I won't add anything but I would say the things that really attract me to ditching my Galaxy S for a Desire HD from your list are

Bigger Screen
Made by a more reliable company
Better GPS

I think a lot of the 'Pros' in your list for the Galaxy S are fairly small.

Yeah those are three of the big ones for me also. Also I forgot to add camera flash, notification light and extra RAM to the Desire HD.

Upvote 0
It's not clear what you're talking about...
So I'm not quite sure why you are replying to me as if I am criticising your Desire and it's AMOLED screen.

Sorry, it was nothing personal either way, it just seemed a nit picking post about AMOLED and SLCD and battery useage. Given Engadgets tests there seems to be little in it depending on what's important to you.

I've read so many posts about the Desire battery and various ways to save power!

I usually post that I turn off mobile data, but actually today I've stopped doing that and my battery has been absolutely fine (probably because I've not been messing about with it). I carry a spare cable and I've got a car charger, it's extremely unlikely it will ever run out of power so I'm now using the phone "properly" instead of nursing it through the day.

Upvote 0
Sorry, it was nothing personal either way, it just seemed a nit picking post about AMOLED and SLCD and battery useage. Given Engadgets tests there seems to be little in it depending on what's important to you.

I've read so many posts about the Desire battery and various ways to save power!

I usually post that I turn off mobile data, but actually today I've stopped doing that and my battery has been absolutely fine (probably because I've not been messing about with it). I carry a spare cable and I've got a car charger, it's extremely unlikely it will ever run out of power so I'm now using the phone "properly" instead of nursing it through the day.

regarding the Amoled vs SLCD, i think the reason why the Amoled lasted longer in Engadgets test was because they played a video, and more often than not scenes tend to be darker in movies. Amoled uses no power at all when displaying blacks. But if Engadget went ahead and displayed a white screen throughout their test the battery would have died before SLCD no doubt.

SLCD is more balanced. It uses the same power no matter what colour is being displayed. So in real world usage i think SLCD will win because we tend to look at lighter screens most of the time (browser, pictures, etc).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones