• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help [Solved]Bootlooping and can not mount sdcard[and other information]

Update
I think things are looking positive now.
The PB99IMG.zip worked and phone booted to a 2.09.405.8 build 32.43.00.32U_5.09.00.20 baseband.
Shut down. vol- and power gets me to HBOOT 0.92.0001.
Recovery option takes me to black screnn with image of a phone and red triangle, so vol+ and power takes me to Android system recovery <3e>.
Usb connect lets me see Removable Disk (E:) in My Computer :) that was missing before.
But because there is no option in this recovery to mount anything, I guess I just need to root with unrevoked again.

Upvote 0
Perhaps I spoke to soon.
Rooted again with unrevoked - successfully.
But again, no mass storage via recovery grr.
However, on another winXP computer, the mount usb storage option works perfectly :)
At least now I know my phone is fine and strangely its my laptop that's the issue.
Weird how the recovery issue led to a laptop problem.

Upvote 0
Thank you Dan and Rasta for all your help and especially for your patience.

Despite this all being a massive annoyance. I have learnt a fair bit more about my desire.
I feel more confident that software issues can be resolved just by using public forums.

Now I can not wait to try that HD rom I was aiming at in the first place. Then gingerbread, when the devs start cracking that a bit more.

Time to get my lappy sorted though *huff*

EDIT
One further point to confirm it is a problem with my laptop. I did a system restore. Took it back a couple of months and the removable storage device (mass storage, what ever you want to call it) was accessible in My Computer while phone is in recovery mode.
Restored winXP to today's restore point and the problem rears its ugly head again.

Upvote 0
hmmm connect the device while in recovery and mount the mass storage

wait for a bit then go to device manager and you should see some shit about your device
remove the adb one 1st to rule anything out
disable ms and then enable it to see which device vanishes and comes back.
when youve detected which one it is then uninstall it from device manager
retoggle it again and then let it install the mass storage drivers again.
once done it should work (hopefully)
disconnect the device and reconnect it and it should prompt you to install the adb drivers

Upvote 0
Cheers Rasta, will have dabble with all that once I have unstalled/removed some things I don't really need and may contain usb gizmo's.
VMware player - a virtual machine I used when I performed alpharev's s-off (a while back and a few minutes ago) and hopefully won't need again *crosses fingers*
A desire downgrade folder containing Teppic's windown.dat and a whole load of stuff including adb.exe (which is my sdk folder aswell). Could there be a little swine in there causing mischief.
Gparted - can't use it with no cd drive or access to usb from virtual machine.
Android flasher - tried to do something with it, can't remember what but not needed anyway.
Fastboot commander - think I have sussed out fastboot commands now so that can go.

Upvote 0
That is a very good question. Thank you for pointing out how stupid I am :eek:
The answer is.... I obviously was not thinking straight.
I could have used gparted by loading it into the "vmware player" virtual machine like I did with alpharev.
Then plugged my phone into the usb and clicked the button at the bottom to connect mass storage device, like I did when using alpharev. Durrrrrrrr

Oh well, it wouldn't have worked anyway, the usb drivers were the problem, I think/hope - see the update below.

Update
Uninstalled and removed unnecessary programs. Problem not solved.
Disabled usb drivers in different patterns. Problem not solved.
Uninstalled usb drivers and re-installed Android usb driver. Problem solved.
Now I need to set-up SDK again now so I can use Adb and fastboot commands. Hopefully that will not re-create the problem.

Upvote 0
Hi, I had a problem were my HTC Desire was stuck at Alpha-Rev's boot screen.

I was unable to mount the SD card via Recovery and received this error message:

"E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0) (No such file or directory)"

I fixed this problem by following this guide:

USB brick/rickrolled/b0rked -> FIXED&#33; - Android @ MoDaCo

"2. Enable the SD Card functionality. Boot your phone in FASTBOOT mode (back + power), and enter this command: 'fastboot oem enableqxdm 0' . This will re-enable your SD card."

I hope it helps you as well.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your input but I technically I was not usb bricked.
I had tried that fastboot command at several stages.

The problem was (possibly the sdcard needed reformatting but more importantly) my winXP laptop needed usb drivers for phone uninstalling and then re-insallation of the Android usb driver.

I went through a lot of hassle for next to no reason.

Update
Sdk downloaded and set-up. Problem Solved (sort of).
Will explain and edit OP later today.

Upvote 0
why cant you use alpharev via cd?
its is seriously more safe
nearly everyone i know has had issues with usb where they have to pull and reconnect the device in points where its using vmware or virualbox
theres no need for that and i would freak out at every pull.

EDIT:

just saw your post about drivers, i did say remove the drivers. it wasnt software, drivers are a bitch if windows installs them in the wrong order. basically i think it saw ms as an adb device

Upvote 0
When in recovery and with usb storage mounted "adb ls /sdcard" was showing me two files/folders/directories, not sure what they are.
With sdcard mounted "adb ls /sdcard" was showing me all the files on the sdcard when looking via astro file manager and when viewing on my laptop.
Could push and rm with adb.
Was looking good.
So in fastboot mode, I was trying figure out the correct fastboot command strings.
Had "c:\sdk\tools\fastboot devices" giving me device number but could not get "
c:\sdk\tools\fastboot ls /sdcard" to work.
So, tried "c:\sdk\tools\fastboot oem enableqxdm 0" which said okay and gives the time taken.
"c:\sdk\tools\fastboot ls /sdcard" still not working.
I didnt think it would help or hinder so installed just the driver for htc sync. Didnt help.
The next time I booted up and connected usb, got no connect usb storage (or whatever it says) in the pop up menu.
I put it back to fastboot mode and still couldnt get it to list the sdcard contents.
Went to go into recovery mode and it now loops on "why so serious?" screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones