• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help [SOLVED] Simple, ad-free camera app?

Winfried

Oct 11, 2011
Hello,

The archives didn't return hits so here goes.

The app from Google didn't geotag pictures, and I don't like the OpenCamera app I'm using (way too many features for my need, slow to start and take pictures). As for picture quality, the hardware isn't very good anyway, so there's not much the app can do in that respect.

Is there a simple and ad-free camera application you would recommend. FWIW, I'm using custom ROM "Evolver" with Android 13.

Thank you.

I figured it'd be easier to find an ad-free solution through F-Droid than Google Play.

Simple Camera does geotag pictures, and offers the basic UI I was looking for.

--
Edit: For some reason, it sets the picture's Orientation tag in EXIF as "Right top" even when holding the phone in landscape mode, so on the computer, pictures are always displayed vertically :-/ Must edit the tag with Exiftool ("-orientation#=1").

Libre Camera does set Orientation correctly… but doesn't save GPS infos (EXIF infos empty even after checking "Save EXIF data" that's supposed to include GPS location), grrr.

Can't believe I have to spend that much time finding a basic app that just works (basic UI, geotagging, portrait/landscape orientation).

--
Edit: Until a new version of Simple Camera comes out that fixes the bug, here's a simple solution for release 5.7.2: Hold the phone vertically, start the app, turn the phone 90° and then take a picture. EXIF's Orientation key will be set to "Left top" as expected.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones