• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Some questions about xperia play

wredj10

Lurker
Feb 13, 2011
Looking at the xperia play,

have some questions on the phone

1) Can the phone play emulators at full speed? (Snes, genesis, neo-geo, PSX, N64, GBA, etc)

2) Can the phone play all of the games / and use all of the apps in the normal android market?

3) Do the android games work with the gamepad, or only xperia play optimized phones?

4) Are there a lot of xperia play optimzed games for the phone?

5) What is the battery life of the phone with games and using internet, movies, music.

6) Is the phone more powerful than the samsung captivate (processor, etc)

7) Is the phone outdated and unable to play newer games such as phones with dual core, nvida tegra games, etc. Is it better to get a dual core phone, or wait until a newer version of the phone with better specs?

8) Will an att simcard work with the xperia play?

1) Can the phone play emulators at full speed? (Snes, genesis, neo-geo, PSX, N64, GBA, etc) Yes

2) Can the phone play all of the games / and use all of the apps in the normal android market? Yes

3) Do the android games work with the gamepad, or only xperia play optimized phones? Haven't tested the analog sticks on non xperia games, but the buttons and dpad work fine on every game I have played, optimized or not.

4) Are there a lot of xperia play optimzed games for the phone? Quite a few, most of them are Gameloft games though.

5) What is the battery life of the phone with games and using internet, movies, music. I can get a full day's of use before it goes below 20% talking, texting, facebooking, mild surfing, and playing emulators.

6) Is the phone more powerful than the samsung captivate (processor, etc) I don't know, but I rarely get lag on the second generation 1 ghz single core cpu on the Xperia Play

7) Is the phone outdated and unable to play newer games such as phones with dual core, nvida tegra games, etc. Is it better to get a dual core phone, or wait until a newer version of the phone with better specs? It can handle every game on the Android market, most games don't take advantage of the tegra2's potential, which upsets nvidia.

8) Will an att simcard work with the xperia play?[/QUOTE]
don't know, I heard it does, but I have a CDMA Verizon Xperia.

Upvote 0
1.) All games full speed except for a minority of PSX and 64 run near full speed or dont work at all.

2.)Yes

3.) Some games on the android market may or may not had the option to configure input via gamepade, however the touch analog so far can only be used for xperia play optimized games.

4.)Yes and more to come just gotta check the app store and the xperia app store, soon to come playstation suite store.

5.)Last me about half a day or until the end of the day.

6.)Dont know dont have that phone to compare.

7.)Dont know either.

8.)I dont know I have verizon cdma play

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones