• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Some questions before I buy

valden

Lurker
Jul 15, 2011
I want to get an Android tablet. I have a couple of questions that I have not been able to find an answer for before I buy.

1. Can Android applications made for cell phones work on an Android tablet? If so, are the applications modified for tablet use, e.g., are the applications re-sized?
  2. Is there an e-mail client for Android tablets that is similar to Windows Live Mail?

Welcome to AF!

This is probably better asked in the tablet forum or the Android lounge but to answer your question:

1) Yes apps are resized, and some take advatage of more screen, other are just stretched, but the vast majority of apps (90+%?) will work fine on a tablet.

2) Android usually comes with two email client, the default Android "Mail" app and "Gmail"

The other thing I think is important is that you should try not to buy a cheap tablet, as they may not come with Google support or apps (or the Android Market). Anything with Honeycomb on it will be good though. Samsung 10.1, Motorola Xoom, Asus Transformer, and a few others are all very good.

The only cheap one you can get away with might be the Nook color but you'd have to tinker a lot with the software to make it a true android tablet.

hth!

Android Lounge - Android Forums

General Tablet Talk - Android Forums

Upvote 0
Can Android applications made for cell phones work on an Android tablet? If so, are the applications modified for tablet use, e.g., are the applications re-sized?

It's worth noting that Honeycomb 3.2 is supposed to have the capability of resizing phone apps and making them look better -- or at least not making them look worse. 3.2 is due for release shortly, but who knows what tablets will get it, and when.

Is there an e-mail client for Android tablets that is similar to Windows Live Mail?

Not sure how they work out on tablets, but K-9 Mail and Mail Droid are considered by many to the the cream of the mail apps.

If you're not in a hurry to get a tablet tomorrow, it's worth browsing the specific hardware discussion forums on here to read real users' experience. I follow the discussions for the Toshiba Thrive and the Acer Iconia 500, for example. Many of the tablets are undergoing or expecting upgrades to Honeycomb 3.1 now, and not without problems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones