• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Soo... Is Google ever going to fix the Nexus 7?

ultraspontane

Sep 17, 2012
I, like many others, keep having random reboots and other problems with my Nexus 7. The factory reset makes things work properly for a couple weeks, then its back to freezing up and rebooting on its own.

Has Google addressed this problem, or are they just pretending that they don't know about it? Every response I've seen from a Google rep on their support forums have been like "Hmmmm, interesting, I'll look into it. Sorry you're having problems." as if there aren't a hundred threads and thousands of people complaining about the same problem.

What is going on here? Doing a factory reset every 2-3 weeks is a royal pain in the behind. In fact, I've never owned a single android device that has worked like it should (out of 5). They've all had some kind of problem that affected basic functionality. I always thought that was because the device manufacturers were doing a poor job with android builds, so I bought the Nexus 7 thinking the "official" support from Google would equal a nice, fully functional, reliable device. Nope, it's one of the worst, actually?

It really seems like Google is half-assing it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Another "I haven't had any problems" post. Well, thanks. I don't believe it for a second, but good for you. I suppose the December calendar was included in your contacts app, too?

All of the devices have had their own unique problems. Just saying "APPS", does not scratch the surface, nor help in any way. There are countless reports of people having the exact same issue with their Nexus devices, and Google has shown zero interest in fixing them, or even acknowledging their existance.

Reactions: DMajor239
Upvote 0
Another "I haven't had any problems" post. Well, thanks. I don't believe it for a second, but good for you. I suppose the December calendar was included in your contacts app, too?

And that post was opened with a very important question from an Android developer who has been using android devices since the htc G1 was released.

Upvote 0
And that post was opened with a very important question from an Android developer who has been using android devices since the htc G1 was released.

I use apps that are Google's own services (books, current, YouTube, gmail, calendar, etc..) apps, Podkicker for podcasts, Evernote, tapatalk, and that is it.

I'm not using fly night stuff from warez sites, but official services apps, and reputable paid apps from the play store.

While using Chrome, I get very frequent reboots. I go through with a factory reset, it works perfectly for two or three weeks, then the reboots start again. If apps are to blame, then why does it work flawlessly for two weeks after a factory reset AFTER every app has been reinstalled from the play store?

Upvote 0
I also have had NO issues with the Android products I've used; let's count them down:

1) Nook Color using the n2a card
2) Huawei Ascend rooted
3) Huawei Mercury not rooted
4) Nexus 7 also not rooted

Not one single solitary problem with any of them except for those inherent in the design of the products such as the Nook Color and Ascend running slowly. Can't imagine why you've had five Android devices that have all had problems.

Upvote 0
I have no doubt you are experiencing this and that others are too. I have an Asus Transformer tablet that had similar problems when first released and Asus went through several OS updates and patches before solving it. It's not always easy to find. But, it's rather unfair to say that it's a universal or widespread problem even though there may be hundreds or thousands of reports.

Google has set sales expectations for the second release of the Nexus 7 at 8 million, so it's fair to assume that there have already been millions of them sold. even 10,000 faulty devices would be less that %1, which by manufacturing standards is acceptable. In any case we do believe you, and would like to help, but part of troubleshooting is comparing what is working to what isn't. If a member says that they haven't experienced your problems it's not an attempt to mock, demean or diminish your situation, it's the first step in getting to the bottom of what's going on.

We all understand your frustration and it's not fun being on the other side of technology when it's gone awry, but please let's try not to bite the hand that's reaching out, just because you are frustrated.

The random reboots on the Asus tablets were fixed with a patch, so I have to assume it was a driver (probably one of the nVidia drivers, although Asus ain't saying). You can be patient or insist they exchange it. If a reset clears up the issue for a few weeks, I have to think it's an app or configuration issue. If it was hardware, it wouldn't be so predictable, unless your patterns of use are cyclical.

So if you're game, let's do the basic troubleshooting. Is there a pattern to the reboots? Is it always chrome? Is it always when you're using it? Is it always connected to a strong Wifi Signal? Environmental conditions? Battery charge level? Does it ever happen while plugged in? The more specific you can get, the more help we can provide.

For the record, of the 9 Android devices I've owned since the Nexus One, the Asus tablet was the only problematic one. And that's not taking into account the 12 inexpensive no-name tablets we use for signature capture at work for deliveries.

Upvote 0
I'm an early adopter of the N7 and have both an 8GB and 16GB as well as a Galaxy Nexus and haven't had the problems you are experiencing. What Luna said above is certainly the best place to start. The more we can isolate the acute thing causing your issue, the easier it will be to solve it.

Upvote 0
Looks like a 4.2 issue from the first article in the search page. I haven't upgraded to the latest version of Android so maybe that's why I'm not seeing the problem. Last time I had an system-initiated reboot was sometime last year. The only random problem that I've had is with the Crackle App which would suddenly start up a movie when I was in the middle of something else. I uninstalled that App.

Upvote 0

You don't say what version of Android you are running, although that last touch of sarcasm implies you don't have the latest.

There are lots of knowledgeable forum member willing to help but throwing sarcastic remarks back at them rather than providing the basic information needed for diagnosis of the problem is probably not the best way to get answers.

Perhaps you don't actually want answers but were just blowing off steam out of frustration with your faulty Nexus 7 - which I can understand - in which case please don't take your frustration out on the people trying to help; they're not the villains of the piece.

Upvote 0
I, like many others, keep having random reboots and other problems with my Nexus 7. The factory reset makes things work properly for a couple weeks, then its back to freezing up and rebooting on its own.

It really seems like Google is half-assing it.

It really seems like you're installing something, or doing something to your devices to cause these problems, and don't care to admit/discover it.

Chalk up another happy, trouble-free Nexus user, both with CM10.1 and stock 4.2.2.

Return sarcasm aside; care to post a list of your installed/running apps and services? What's the build date of your Nexus?

Upvote 0
Well here's how I see it.
I had an 8gb Nexus 7 (which I gave to my sister for Christmas) and now a 32gb Nexus 7.
I updated my 8gb to 4.2 and it began random rebooting.
I bought the 32gb on Black Friday and never updated passed 4.1.2. It doesn't random reboot.
I don't think it has anything to do with apps or how the device is used, as I have 2 of the exact same device which I used in the exact same fashion. One developed the problem described by the OP and the other doesn't. The only difference between the two is the android version they're running.

Upvote 0
Well here's how I see it.
I had an 8gb Nexus 7 (which I gave to my sister for Christmas) and now a 32gb Nexus 7.
I updated my 8gb to 4.2 and it began random rebooting.
I bought the 32gb on Black Friday and never updated passed 4.1.2. It doesn't random reboot.
I don't think it has anything to do with apps or how the device is used, as I have 2 of the exact same device which I used in the exact same fashion. One developed the problem described by the OP and the other doesn't. The only difference between the two is the android version they're running.

I've ran CM10 and aosp 4.1 and 4.2 and cm10.1 no issues. ;)

Upvote 0
Hey you guys.

I was going to say that my Nexus 7 has been excellent since the day I got it. I was going to tell you that I update when I'm told I have an update, and use it normally the rest of the time, and it's really a nice little tablet that I've had nary an issue with. I actually can't recall a single unwanted reboot.

However, the original poster has made it clear that my experience is impossible, and clearly nobody could ever have a different experience than he has had. This is news to me, but I believe the OP, so I'm going to go yell at Google a little bit about my table that locks up and reboots with regularity.

Upvote 0
Hey you guys.

I was going to say that my Nexus 7 has been excellent since the day I got it. I was going to tell you that I update when I'm told I have an update, and use it normally the rest of the time, and it's really a nice little tablet that I've had nary an issue with. I actually can't recall a single unwanted reboot.

However, the original poster has made it clear that my experience is impossible, and clearly nobody could ever have a different experience than he has had. This is news to me, but I believe the OP, so I'm going to go yell at Google a little bit about my table that locks up and reboots with regularity.
I assume your tongue is firmly planted in your cheek! If so, I couldn't agree more!

Put me in with the SIX TO ONE majority of people in this thread alone who's N7 seems to work "just fine"!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones