• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Source Code does not match bytecode"

RhinoCan

Jul 5, 2015
I'm using Android Studio 3.1.2 to develop my first Android apps.

When I am debugging and wander into one of the Android classes, like Activity.class, I frequently see a message that says "source code does not match the bytecode". This always seems to happen to the built-in classes rather than the ones I am writing myself.

Why is that happening and what can I do to fix it? It's hard to even begin to understand what is happening in a class when the cursor is on some line of code that ISN'T the one actually being executed. Have I installed something incorrectly? I didn't notice any worrisome messages during the install and I've been careful to do every update it offered me.

This is not a deal-breaker for me as long as it confines itself to the existing Android classes; I can just assume that they work and that any problem is in the code I wrote. Still, it would be nice to be able to follow what is happening in the native Android class sometimes just to understand what is happening a little better and maybe learn some cool coding tricks ;-)

My guess here is that you have multiple versions of a library in your project, and the deployed library is different to the one your app was built with.

Look through this SO question and try the different suggestions. I would certainly recommend doing a clean build on your project.

Upvote 0
My guess here is that you have multiple versions of a library in your project, and the deployed library is different to the one your app was built with.

Look through this SO question and try the different suggestions. I would certainly recommend doing a clean build on your project.

SO? Oh, Stack Overflow, right? Okay, I'll have a look at that when I get home this evening or tomorrow morning.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones