• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Spastic Touchscreen

marvinj920

Feb 17, 2010
My touchscreen is randomly pressing in an exact straight line near the 2nd column. Utilizing a program called steamy window, I could see exactly where the touchscreen was being touched. See attached photo.
DSCF9148.jpg

Some Diagnostic Info:
- I live in SC where it has been quite hot.
- It first started this weekend after being in the car dock for 15mins. Afterward the phone was very warm.
- It seems to stop after the phone has cooled.
- It started happening again today in a 78 Degree air conditioned apt. after using the phone for 30mins.
- After letting it sit to type this, it has seemed to stop.
- Pressing the edges of the screen seems to reproduce the issue.
- Moisture stickers still have the red x's on em.
- My screen is as clean as can be

From reading other posts, I'm well aware it could be a moisture/humidity/heat thing. But it shouldn't be doing it in my AC'd apt. I'm also aware some say its greasy fingers/screen. But as I've mentioned my screen is very clean & it still does it.

Some History:
I've had my Droid since November. I've dropped it ONCE on the pavement some time in January/February. Afterward everything has worked fine. About 2/3 months ago I noticed my screen started randomly clicking things. (In my Apt.) Fearing it was going to call someone, I immediately did a battery pull & cleaned the screen. Everything was fine until this weekend.

I'm getting married mid august, and don't have a whole lot of time/money to fix this, but need the phone desperately during the next month. I was hoping someone would have some advice for me.

I do not have insurance. Is this covered under some warranty?
I am rooted (CM5.07/No Theme). Should I do a factory reset b4 I take it in?
Will they do anything other than tell me I'm screwed?

ANY information/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Marvin J

Yeah, that should be covered under the 1 year warranty as long as the water damage sticker (behind the battery) doesn't indicate it got wet. It should have little + signs on it if it's good, if not it'll be a solid color (I think, not sure about it). If it doesn't fix itself soon and you decide to take it in, as long as you don't have a theme, I'll bet that they don't notice, but I'm sure they'll make you do a factory reset so you might as well put a stock ROM on there and reset it before letting them look at it.

Upvote 0
I know in the flood of Froyo posts this will probably get missed, but I'm more or less venting. I went into our local verizon store today to get my spastic touchscreen'd phone replaced. I had to wait 20 mins just to speak with someone, and as it turns out they didn't have any replacement droids. They had brand new phones, but no 'refurbished' models. I should receive my 'new' droid on Friday.

Like everyone, I use my phone everyday and am quite perturbed that nothing can be done for another 3 days. (FedEx delivers to my house late).

So my question is this. Is this customer service par for the course? How is it that the ONLY corporate Verizon Wireless store in the Myrtle Beach area doesn't have ANY replacement phones for one of the most popular phones in Verizon's lineup? And why do I have to wait 20 mins to talk with someone when there were only 5 customers in the store. Bear in mind that the gentleman who was looking to purchase a phone had at one time 2 service reps with him.

I know I'm just ranting and letting off some steam. And most of this is probably unavoidable. I was just curious if others have had the same experience.

OH Plus, I'm pissed I can't take part in everyone's joy with Froyo.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones