1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Speaker makes crackling sound after water incident although i put it in rice

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Android Question

None
    Hi

My phone got some water on it recently. I have left it in rice for 48 hours. Everything works except my phone speaker makes crackling and popping sounds pretty much every time I touch the screen or any of the buttons. It will also do it randomly sometimes without me touching the screen or anything. For example, my phone can be sat on the bedside table and then the speaker will make crackling sounds.

Should I leave it in rice longer or do I have to get something fixed?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. Doit2it

Doit2it Android Expert
    None

Oct 23, 2009
    Male
    FedEx... yea, those guys
    Nashville, TN
    You can try the rice, but it sounds like there's a short somewhere that's sending an electronic signal to the audio system. Any time an electronic device gets wet the results can be small residue and/or corrosion on the components. Replacement is the easiest fix. You can void you warranty and open the phone and clean as much surface area as you can get to with a clean cloth. Reseat (unplug and plug) all connectors. Even after all this, the issue may still be present. Good luck.

3. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Drying out a wet phone, without doing the rest of the rescue first, is the 4th worst thing you can do to a wet phone. You need a new screen, at the very least, but the phone may not be salvageable at this point - 48 hours of corrosion is pretty bad. Until the phone is totally dry - and unless you live in the middle of the Gobi desert, it never is - it will continue to corrode from the impurities in whatever got it wet.

For future knowledge, read Wet Phone

Not knowing which phone it is, we can't advise you about whether to even bother getting an estimate. (Spending $50 to have the screen replaced on a phone you can buy for $50 or less is foolish. Spending $200 to fix a phone you'd have to pay $700 to replace is probably a good idea.)

If you want to continue the discussion, please create a free account here, so that you can respond in the thread, and the discussion isn't scattered all over the forum.

4. 1015336

1015336 Lurker
    None

Jan 12, 2014
    Hi!

Thanks for your replies. The phone didn't even really get submerged which is why I am surprised. It is a Samsung Galaxy S4. So suggestions are best to take it to get an estimate to get it fixed?

Thanks

5. jattscorpion

jattscorpion Lurker
    None

Sep 24, 2014
    Hi, have you sorted the problem. My phone also developed the same problem after water dip. everything is working but speakers are making noise. I have cleaned everything but no luck. please suggest me the fix if you have sorted it out. thanks