• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Speaker makes crackling sound after water incident although i put it in rice

A

Android Question

Hi

My phone got some water on it recently. I have left it in rice for 48 hours. Everything works except my phone speaker makes crackling and popping sounds pretty much every time I touch the screen or any of the buttons. It will also do it randomly sometimes without me touching the screen or anything. For example, my phone can be sat on the bedside table and then the speaker will make crackling sounds.

Should I leave it in rice longer or do I have to get something fixed?

Thanks

You can try the rice, but it sounds like there's a short somewhere that's sending an electronic signal to the audio system. Any time an electronic device gets wet the results can be small residue and/or corrosion on the components. Replacement is the easiest fix. You can void you warranty and open the phone and clean as much surface area as you can get to with a clean cloth. Reseat (unplug and plug) all connectors. Even after all this, the issue may still be present. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Drying out a wet phone, without doing the rest of the rescue first, is the 4th worst thing you can do to a wet phone. You need a new screen, at the very least, but the phone may not be salvageable at this point - 48 hours of corrosion is pretty bad. Until the phone is totally dry - and unless you live in the middle of the Gobi desert, it never is - it will continue to corrode from the impurities in whatever got it wet.

For future knowledge, read Wet Phone

Not knowing which phone it is, we can't advise you about whether to even bother getting an estimate. (Spending $50 to have the screen replaced on a phone you can buy for $50 or less is foolish. Spending $200 to fix a phone you'd have to pay $700 to replace is probably a good idea.)

If you want to continue the discussion, please create a free account here, so that you can respond in the thread, and the discussion isn't scattered all over the forum.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones