• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Speed up Re-Draws when going back "Home"

ok i think i have a solution, 1 open up the file in text edit in root explorer
2 dont put the code at the bottom, hit the enter key to make the cursor on an empty line in the middle place line of code
3 save exit
4 menu button exit
5 reboot
that worked for me on apeX and i tried everything else like 4 times so this way worked for me.
the code will magically wind up on the bottom of the list after a reboot

Reactions: dhoffman1421
Upvote 0
ok i think i have a solution, 1 open up the file in text edit in root explorer
2 dont put the code at the bottom, hit the enter key to make the cursor on an empty line in the middle place line of code
3 save exit
4 menu button exit
5 reboot
that worked for me on apeX and i tried everything else like 4 times so this way worked for me.
the code will magically wind up on the bottom of the list after a reboot

I just tried that and the only part that stuck was "=1"....:(

Edit: I tried out a few different things and I finally found a way that made it stick for me, I had to place the edit on the top of the list and it was still there after 2 reboots.

Reactions: dhoffman1421
Upvote 0
I just tried that and the only part that stuck was "=1"....:(

Edit: I tried out a few different things and I finally found a way that made it stick for me, I had to place the edit on the top of the list and it was still there after 2 reboots.

i just hit the cursor in the last space of the first line and hit enter and placed the code in and i survived a few reboots now, but whatever works do it...unless you could blow up you r phone in that case dont do that

Upvote 0
i did this a few weeks ago when this was posted, and still i have a lot of "redraws". It is getting annoying. I bought my Galaxy tab and DL'd home switcher cause i couldn't figure out how to enable Launcher Pro again...then it dawned on me. I still had my stock home screen FILLED with apps and widgets. So i DL'd home switcher for my X and went back to my default home and cleared out all the apps and widgets i had placed.

It sped things up quite a bit, but i still get redraws at least twice a day. Any other ideas? I know for sure the line i edited stuck, cause i have checked multiple times. Is there anything else i can do? I have tried removing widgets and such. I only have a few now, granted i have like 80 apps downloaded on my phone, but only a handful placed on the Launcher Pro home screens.

Upvote 0
Where does the .bak file go? I would like to try the method with removing that file.

you dont have to remove the bak file. and the bak file can stay right in the data folder where root explorer puts it. its fine there.

in my experience, I long-pressed on the file>open in text editor>went to the first letter of the first line and hit enter to drop it down a line>typed in the " ro.home_app_adj=1 " >menu button>save and exit (root explorer will create a bak file for you)>use back button to exit root explorer>reboot phone

once the phone rebooted I went back in to check if it was there and it was at the bottom of the list now but still in there.

Upvote 0
long press on the file and when the options box shows up scroll down and select open in text editor. then, tap the screen at the end of the last entry to place the cursor at the end and then hit enter to put the cursor on the next line.

Note that as you type in the "ro" part the auto correct will change that to "to" so watch out for that. when finished, hit the back button and it will prompt you to save the change. Reboot and youre done.

Here is my question...
Is this a file that gets over written when you change ROMs? Ive done this in the past and when I checked if it was still entered it wasnt. Im thinking that maybe the auto correct bit me last time but there was no incorrect entry in the file either. I just rebooted and the file modification is still there this time.

Reactions: Droid Ninja
Upvote 0
long press on the file and when the options box shows up scroll down and select open in text editor. then, tap the screen at the end of the last entry to place the cursor at the end and then hit enter to put the cursor on the next line.

Note that as you type in the "ro" part the auto correct will change that to "to" so watch out for that. when finished, hit the back button and it will prompt you to save the change. Reboot and youre done.

Here is my question...
Is this a file that gets over written when you change ROMs? Ive done this in the past and when I checked if it was still entered it wasnt. Im thinking that maybe the auto correct bit me last time but there was no incorrect entry in the file either. I just rebooted and the file modification is still there this time.

I did this and after the reboot the change was gone :thinking:

Does the backup file it makes after the change is saved need to be deleted?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones