• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SplashID Tablet: Galaxy Note Owners Beware

PeteCress

Android Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2010
Paoli PA, USA
Since I just flushed ten bucks down the toilet, I thought maybe I could save somebody else from the experience.

This is from somebody who has been using both the Windows Desktop and iPod editions of SplashID for a number of years - as a satisfied user.... so I don't have a woody for SplashID in general.

One question for a Note owner is "For SplashID purposes, do I have a tablet or a phone?".

I obsessed over this for about a week - and posted several questions on various fora. Got no replies, so I bit the bullet and bought SplashID Tablet.

Oops..... SplashID Tablet on a Note is just plain *bad*.... I'd even go so far as to say useless.

Heaven forbid, SplashID should publish some guidelines or explaination of the difference in functionality/UI/ergonomics between their two Android products - for the benefit of betwixt-and-between customers like Note owners...

I'll spare you the full rant.... but if you're a Galaxy Note owner, trust me: "Just say no to SplashID Tablet".

OK, now you're wondering: "Did he get the regular version?".

Yeah. I sucked it up and spent another ten bucks. Now I have a twenty-dollar Android implementation of SplashID.

Does it work on Note? Yes... but...

• Where's the "Pattern" option for logging in? The Windows version has it. The Apple version has it. Android's login screen has it....

The "Pattern" option for password entry is definitely habit forming... and *really* convenient, especially in the context of SplashID's (rightfully) prompting for password whenever one switches to another app or even after the screen goes to sleep and gets woken up again.
  • Where is the (for want of a better term) alphabetic scroll assistant? (the column of little letters along the right side of the window). Do I really have to either key in Search criteria or manually scroll?

Or is the scroll assistant part of the Apple API/SDK that has no analog in Android? Contacts lacks it too... so maybe that's the case.

A couple of my own caveats vis-a-vis SplashID:

• Set AutomaticUpdates=False. You don't want them ramming a new version into your device until you've been satisified that it won't require you to spend more money on a new Desktop version and that it won't hose your DB.
  • In the Desktop version, set up some sort of procedure for yourself to export a backup file periodically. Dunno about others, but I live and die by my password list - and I have heard too many horror stories of lists getting totally or partially hosed.

Actually, partially scares me more bc it could go unnoticed for a time.... For that reason, I would date those backups (as in SplashData.2012 09-29.vid and keep *all* of them.

Did you contact SplashData about satisfaction guarantee? I thought they had a 30-60 day window if you're not satisfied, they would offer a refund. But this is during the days I had PalmOS and Windows Mobile. Maybe contact their sales department and see what they can do? That's also another thing I didn't like about this new ecosystem. You can't get discounts for cross-grades like back in the day when jumping platforms.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones