• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Spoke to a At&t rep guess what he told me!

I don't think this "unable to connect" is an issue at all. There is obviously nothing to update..when the time comes that an update is available I believe all devices will connect

Well, as said in the post above yours, me and my gf were sitting in my car. We both have captivates, and hers updated and mine didnt. Im not sure what updated on hers, but nothings ever updated on mine.
So somethings going on with certain devices or something. Im not sure.

Upvote 0
If the phone updated it was the JH7 build (check the menu --> settings --> about phone) and look at the build, it should this:

Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Baseband Version: I897UCJH7
Build number: Eclair.UCJH7

-------------------------------

A note to anyone that has NOT flashed anything to your phone (maybe just root) that is getting the cannot connect error, I was ok until yesterday, then started getting that. I said I have not even rooted my replacment, so what the heck? Then remebered I installed advanced task killer and launcher pro. If you have either, uninstall both, make sure you do not have any other custom theme or home replacment apps like open home or GDE installed, do the clear data on data management; reboot the phone and try again. Worked perfectly for me

Don't know if this will work for everyone but something to think about

Upvote 0
If the phone updated it was the JH7 build (check the menu --> settings --> about phone) and look at the build, it should this:

Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Baseband Version: I897UCJH7
Build number: Eclair.UCJH7

-------------------------------

A note to anyone that has NOT flashed anything to your phone (maybe just root) that is getting the cannot connect error, I was ok until yesterday, then started getting that. I said I have not even rooted my replacment, so what the heck? Then remebered I installed advanced task killer and launcher pro. If you have either, uninstall both, make sure you do not have any other custom theme or home replacment apps like open home or GDE installed, do the clear data on data management; reboot the phone and try again. Worked perfectly for me

Don't know if this will work for everyone but something to think about

I was wondering if launcher pro had anything to do with it

Upvote 0
Sorry, so much to read through - is this the only way?

I recently got the Captivate, and when I tried, I wasn't able to connect to the update servers. :( It's new, but I just worked hard to get things set up ... is there any other way to remedy this? And ... does a factory reset ensure no issues down the road, or should I be concerned enough to talk an exchange?

Crap, I'm actually quite happy overall with the phone ... but I hate the idea that I might not receive official updates, esp. since I'm being good and keeping my phone legit (not rooting).

I tried the above suggestion, removed Launcher Pro, did the steps, etc - no change.

Then I wound up doing a factory reset, better now than later (I copied down all I've changed, so I can re-setup my new phone - what a pill). Didn't change anything. (Still can't connect to check for updates, can't connect to sync AT&T address book...no other connectivity issues, just with AT&T!) :thinking:

EDIT: I did another factory reset. I don't know why, honestly it seemed stupid to try but I figured ... what the hell. Low and behold, AT&T Address Book and Software Update both connected/worked. WHY it took two hard resets, I do not understand. I hope this doesn't mean I have any real issues with the phone - I can not just hard reset after setting everything up again and getting my phone more squared away/set up/etc. But at this moment, a little sense of relief.

Upvote 0
EDIT: I did another factory reset. I don't know why, honestly it seemed stupid to try but I figured ... what the hell. Low and behold, AT&T Address Book and Software Update both connected/worked. WHY it took two hard resets, I do not understand. I hope this doesn't mean I have any real issues with the phone - I can not just hard reset after setting everything up again and getting my phone more squared away/set up/etc. But at this moment, a little sense of relief.
You got the address book to connect? AT&T told me the Captivate wasn't supported. I can connect to the AT&T servers for everything but that. So it can be done. Interesting.....

Upvote 0
You got the address book to connect? AT&T told me the Captivate wasn't supported. I can connect to the AT&T servers for everything but that. So it can be done. Interesting.....

Yes, Address Book works on the Captivate. I had it sync then went to the website and saw all my contacts magically there.

Haven't tested it as a restore method but it's definitely working to some extent.

Update: Looks like it worked before the JH7 update. That update broke the syncing.

Upvote 0

Their address book site gives you a link to FAQ, and you can see supported phones including the Samsung Captivate. I don't know why they would tell you it isn't supported, unless that was something they said prior to officially supporting it? Anyhow. My phone is only a week old, so I decided I could stomach a hard reset ... after I get it back up to speed (all my apps, my huge contact list manually re-entered, etc) I doubt I'll be willing to do so again. I'm annoyed to think their "fixes" or "updates" could break a feature like that if sremick is correct. The only thing that fixed it for me was to twice manually reset, then somehow it had different prompts and steps when setting it up - every sync since has been completed vs failed.

Upvote 0
Yes, Address Book works on the Captivate. I had it sync then went to the website and saw all my contacts magically there.

Haven't tested it as a restore method but it's definitely working to some extent.

Update: Looks like it worked before the JH7 update. That update broke the syncing.

It may be working if you factory reset your device. Otherwise there's still a tech issue with address book. I called ATT and the 2nd tier help (whatever that is) says it's still not working. I tried it and the sync fails

Upvote 0
Yea..that's what I thought..not sure what sremick is referring to with his ability to connect to the address book. But anyway it's a minor deal in any event

See my edit. Apparently the synced addresses were before I updated to JH7. It was only after that update that AT&T Address Book stopped syncing. So the few names I've added since then have not synced but there were so few I didn't notice the discrepancy at first.

This detail has been confirmed by others. It worked before the update.

Upvote 0
This is complete BS.

I work for AT&T and all smart phones support tethering. To block froyo because of tethering makes NO sense. I have never heard of anything like that.

Of course it makes sense... if they can block tethering, they can get you for more money buy selling you another service. That is the ONLY reason why ATT and other carriers don't allow it. Total greed man!

Upvote 0
I really think that although tempting to argue that AT&T is holding up Froyo because of this tethering option, it really doesn't make sense in terms of how this would actually work. If they are withholding it so they can charge you for it, will they give you the mobileAP .apk to install (which would require root to run)? Would they push out a special "untampered with" update for you? Most seem to be arguing "yes" without realizing how impractical that is.

Well by this logic, let's say someone buys this phone, then realizes that they want to add tethering...

Is everyone really suggesting that AT&T will push out a special update just for you when you buy their tethering services to give you the option? They have never done this nor have I heard of them doing this, ever. The tethering option they sell is just so you are legally covered (against extra charges from them) if they ever traced the connections made through your phone, and find a computer IP not just the phone's IP. That's it, there's no special apps, special updates or denial of features.

Upvote 0
It takes a single tech about 15 mins to remove something like tethering from the OS. It's not that which is holding things up.

My suspicion is that it's either:

1. There are technical problems that have been discovered making Froyo work on the Captivate's unique hardware.
  2. They're spending extra time trying to sort out GPS (and maybe lag) once and for all as part of Froyo so that they don't need yet another update after that.
  3. They realize 2.3 is here so they've shifted to trying to "catch up" and win back some karma with their customers by going straight to 2.3

Upvote 0
They realize 2.3 is here so they've shifted to trying to "catch up" and win back some karma with their customers by going straight to 2.3

I want to believe this. It actually is plausible given that Samsung already has 2.3 on the Nexus S, even though I'm sure google did all the work, our phone is so similar hardware wise it is possible. However, given Samsung's track record AND google wanting exclusivity on 2.3 for at least a little bit to help its sales, I highly doubt it will come to the galaxy S before the end of the year. Given that, and Samsung's promise to have 2.2 out before 2011 (I know I know track record) I honestly don't see 2.3 forthcoming. But I HOPE so! Unfortunately, that word has lost a lot of meaning when applied to Samsung. :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones