• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint Hero HAS BEEN ROOTED@!

sorry it took solong to reply. you will need to format your sd card. you don't have to wipe your phone bc you will be building a flash image of it (but I wiped mine to start from scratch). It was cool getting rid of all those useless apps that i downloaded anyway. also there is a link for a suggested ROM called MoDaCo. I have this one. It seems faster. I'll be looking for more later though. Good luck! Let me know how you end up.

Upvote 0
how many of you kept Sprint TV on their phone? should i remove it?

anyhow, i removed it. Ever since removing a bunch of useless apps from my phone, my hero been responding better, no lags and what so ever.

Another thing I want to know is, when rooting your phone and sprint gives you a new update for the OS. Wouldn't that update all the apps again or the update wouldn't go through all the way?

I ditched Sprint TV, my wife couldn't live without it, and yes I "think" I will need it, but let's cut the crap. I'm not watching tv on my 2 inch screen when I am never more than a day away from my 55" 120 htz LCD.

Upvote 0
How do I add new task bars and "clear" HTC widgets? where do I put the files?

In addition to what DFresh said, if you're running kitchen on your PC, you can download an apk file for anything and put it into any folder.

For example, I found "Clear widgetS" from an outside source, downloaded and then created my own "theme" folder in kitchen for items I found outside the standard download. Then I run kitchen, click "install a theme" and locate the apk, click install. I have installed apps this was too, but it could cause trouble depending on the app.

Upvote 0
It would appear I have rooted the phone, went out to the app store and down loaded terminal emulator, entered in su was returned with the # prompt.

Going through the steps, I receive the following:
/data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh
[+] Using newer pipe_inode_info layout
Opening: /proc/857/fd/3
SUCCESS: Enjoy the shell.
#

When following the steps to copy the *.img to my sdcard on my phone, I also get the "Permission Denied."
adb push recovery-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img /sdcard/failed to copy 'recovery-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img' to '/sdcard/recovery-RA-heroc-v1.2
.3.img': Permission denied

I amusing Windows XP and DID verify the cmd window is being run by the local administrator.

I have even tried using pre-kitchen .02b no luck. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Ok, so I'm thinking about rooting my hero.

1.Is there anything like phone settings, that I should have set a certain way before attempting to root my phone?

2. Also, I'm using windows vista, will this affect anything I dowload on my laptop to root my phone? Or does that not even matter?

3. What exactly is the auto-rooter? Do I download one program and it does all the work for me?

4. Do I need more than one download to root my phone? It seems there are a few downloads to complete the root, but then again I am totally new to all of this.

5. When I root my phone, can I still get sprint updates?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones