• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint] Unlocked Sprint Note 2 Jellybean unroot for OTA

Hey guys, done quite a few searches with no results, so I decided I should just ask my question directly.

I have an N7100 on Sprint running Jellybean unlocked. Haven't messed with flashing ROMs or anything. Basically rooted so I can get rid of bloatware, under and overclock the CPU, use A2SD and backup utilities.

At any rate, I keep getting this popup message wanting me to update my firmware, which I'm assuming it's the OTA KitKat release. I'm torn on whether I should do it as it would also include the root counter, from what I'm gathering. I've decided that I should just go back to stock, download the OTA for the new radio and hopefully better reception (and to get rid of these ******* popups) and then re root it.

So my question to you is, how do I do this without wiping my phone? Is like to keep all of the functions and preferences I have and make this transition as seemless as possible. Anyone have suggestions, I'd highly appreciate them.

Note- I'm not new to the game of rooting, but I could stand to learn a little.. Any suggestions, please reply add if I were ********. Lol Thanks again!

1) Kit Kat won't update a rooted phone.

2) You can't root Kit Kat (yet).

If you rooted by pushing a few files to the phone, unrooting, cleaning up and uninstalling the superuser app and removing the su and busybox files should bring you to updatable condition. If you you'll have to flash the stock ROM - which, being a new ROM as far as the phone is concerned - will wipe out your changes. All of them. The only thing that will survive is the external SD card (because you'll have removed it.)

I have the update file for my Note 3. I'm still on 4.3, though. There's nothing that exciting in KK, and a few of the apps I always use won't run on it. Maybe in a few months, when things change.

Upvote 0
Thank you. I guess I'll just keep dealing with these stupid popups. I can't forsee anyone doing much more for this phone. The demand just isn't there with the 4s coming out right after this one and now the 5s. Hopefully they have another Note released by the time my contact it up in December so I don't have to downgrade screen size.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones