• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Still use the IR blaster?

I am interested to hear on this too. I read a review that said the APIs were not present on the GE edition and that support was disabled. That sounds different to me than the app simply not being installed. I have searched and found two other apps that offer the functionality of the Samsung app...probably better, but I am fairly sure they use the API to function, and now I am afraid they won't work with the NE.

Upvote 0
I have the att version of the gs4, but installed the "google edition" ROM yesterday and which works great. I have Galaxy S4 Smart Remote app which cost about $10 and can confirm it works, I have heard the stock WatchOn app works also but have not tried it. But these google edition phones do use some Touchwiz framework, so that is how the IR blaster is able to be used. The Touchwiz camera may also be useable, but not sure on that one yet

Upvote 0
Since you now have the NE ROM, do you think you'll get the same automatic updates going forward from Samsung promptly, or will you have to keep flashing updates manually?
They will have to be manually flashed, but they come out extremely fast as you can tell. There is even a 4.3 Google edition ROM out already, and it was just a rumor that it existed yesterday

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones