• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stock browser cache question

BoulderAndroidFan

Android Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2009
West
I have a question for any out there in Eris-land. I have the stock browser cache set to the 6mb max that the app settings allows--but it sometimes ends up larger than that when I go to clear it in the Application settings. How is that so? Also, how exactly does the cache work? Does it store visited pages then keep adding to it until it's at the max storage? Do older cached pages get bumped for newer ones? Does the browser get sluggish if the cache is full? (I haven't noticed any issues myself.) Finally, if I set the max cache setting for less than the 6mb cap, (say, 3mb), will that make the browser less efficient at loading pages? I'm curious since the stock browser doesn't use SD card for storage and cuts into the main phone memory.

To start from the end, cache is so that the browser is MORE efficient at displaying pages. The cache are things that the browser stores, so that your phone doesn't have to a) re-prompt you for things (such as your Facebook password), and so that web pages that you've already been to can load faster (elements of web pages are stored in the cache, so you don't have to re-download them, if you visit the site frequently).

Typically, cache does clear out old things for new things. When you set a limit like that, it should usually strictly adhere to the limit. I can imagine it being set up on a site-by-site basis. So you're at 5.9 mb, and maybe the program says 'ok, just one more site', which winds up taking it over 6mb. I find it strange that it would go over an imposed limit, and I haven't seen it on mine, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

And reducing the cache isn't a bad idea for any real reason, especially if you don't use that many different websites. If you frequent a dozen web sites on your phone's browser, having the cache be at its largest will make browsing faster and more efficient, after you visit the sites thoroughly.

The best reason that I can think of to even limit the cache to less than the maximum, is to save space on your phone. Once you have too many Apps installed on your phone, your Eris will find itself in an unfortunate place, one fateful reboot. Clearing your cache, and reducing its maximum size is a good idea if you're looking for more space for more apps. But if you're that hard up for 3MB, my advice would be to uninstall some apps that you don't need (big ones like your 40 year old virgin sound board or the app that's just a set of pictures of Models that you could open Sports Illustrated and see).

If you go Home > Menu > Settings > SD Card & Storage > and scroll to the bottom, it will show you how much space is left on your phone. I'm always happy with >50mb left. I find that even in the 30mb+ range it's okay. My Eris crashed several times when I dipped below 30MB though, after restarting the phone.

Your phone uses some of that empty space while it's booting up, and while it's running (although it doesn't tell you that without you digging deep). So just be careful how much space is left.

Cache won't hurt you, really. Having it be full is a normal and good thing. Your computer's web browser cache is probably full right now, and your web browsing experience is better for it. The same will generally be true for your Browser on your phone.

After all, these phones are mini Linux computers with web browsers.

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0
Unless I am completely remembering incorrectly, clearing my Browser cache has, more than once, made me re-enter my passwords for Facebook and other sites.

Since there's only 'Cache' and 'Data' in the application management's ability to 'clear' things, I was assuming that cookies were part of the Cache, for this browser.

I guess I'm wrong. -1 for me. The rest of what I said I'm at least as sure of though. Maybe I'm confused about the passwords. Those don't take up much space anyway!

Upvote 0
Going along with this topic as to no start another 'useless thread'...I had been using dolphin browser for a day or two since I knew the cache could be put on my sd card..couple of questions:
1. Where is the cache kept with the default browser?
2. (assuming default browser cache is on eris internal memory) Which is faster/more efficient? Having cache on sd card (it is a class 6) or having cache on internal memory?

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Going along with this topic as to no start another 'useless thread'...I had been using dolphin browser for a day or two since I knew the cache could be put on my sd card..couple of questions:
1. Where is the cache kept with the default browser?
2. (assuming default browser cache is on eris internal memory) Which is faster/more efficient? Having cache on sd card (it is a class 6) or having cache on internal memory?

Thanks in advance.

The cache from the stock browser is not on the sd card. That's one advantage of Dolphin. I make sure to clear the cache on my stock browser about once a week (and all other apps for that matter).

Can't answer the speed question.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the insightful info on the browser cache--I really appreciate it. You can clear cookies under settings for the browser. I don't think I have too many apps, but games like Bonsai Blast and Bebbled (which are wildy addictive) take up 7mb and 2.3mb respectively. Browser is usually up there in size, with contacts storage,TripIt and Facebook. (Swype is king of the hill with a whopping 13mb!).
Thanks again for your info!

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the insightful info on the browser cache--I really appreciate it. You can clear cookies under settings for the browser. I don't think I have too many apps, but games like Bonsai Blast and Bebbled (which are wildy addictive) take up 7mb and 2.3mb respectively. Browser is usually up there in size, with contacts storage,TripIt and Facebook. (Swype is king of the hill with a whopping 13mb!).
Thanks again for your info!

Unfortunately, you cannot clear cache on the Facebook for Android app. If you watch, the size of the app continues to grow with use. One way I've found to empty that data is to simply logout of your FB account and log back in. I haven't seen a downside to doing this. It beats uninstalling and then reinstalling the app.

Upvote 0
Look again. There are 5 things to clear. Thanks for ALL your posts. You make more sense than most here.

This is actually a revelation for me. So, to clarify, from right WITHIN the browser, clearing Cache is its own thing.

I was referring to, from Home > Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Browser > 'Clear Cache' and 'Clear Data'.

I believe that 'Cache' here contains more than what 'Cache' is in the Browser's settings itself. I didn't even realize the ability to clear all 5 of those things individually inside the browser. That leads me to wonder how many of those 5 things are in the 'Cache' according to Application Management, and how many of those 5 things are in 'Data' (or how many are in neither!)

Upvote 0
When I clear the cache from application settings on the phone, it only clears the actual cache. I've never lost other data like passwords our other cookie data that way. I get the same results when I clear the cache from the browser. Accessing the cache from application settings is a pain since it takes awhile to load all the apps list and info. Just as easy to do it from the browser from time to time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones