• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stock Keyboard not saving words

Jay2em

Lurker
May 27, 2016
Hey guys,

New user here. I've started to have problems (started a few days ago) with my Samsung Keyboard on my Galaxy S7 Edge. All my added words to the dictionary on the predictive text have been erased and they no longer want to save permanently. If I were to write a word in a SMS, it would add briefly and when I switch to something else like a web browser, the words would disappear from the list of words saved.

After about 1 hour Google searches, it was a common (?) issue on S4's. I've tried to look for the Samsung Keyboard on Application Manager to delete cache settings but couldn't seem to find it in the manager.

All I've tried is Settings > Samsung keyboard > Reset Settings. As well as Clear personalised data. But that has not resolved anything.

If any one has experienced this and managed to fix it, I would appreciate the help!

Thanks in advanced.

I've started using Swiftkey like 5 years ago. Never looked back. It's owned by Microsoft now so you don't have to worry about stealing data or whatnot. It's also available on iOS.

Now it doesn't actually have a dictionary that you can add words to, but it remembers words you type and in what context, so it can predict those words for you. Some years ago my native language wasn't one of its provided dictionaries and I taught it to predict sentences in my language just by typing and typing.

What's great is that you can sync it to your Google account and all learned words will be syncing across your devices. Like if you already had an Android device for a while and taught it a lot of words, then you suddenly decide to pick up a new Android phone, or an iPad, or switch to iPhone. Simply download Swiftkey for them and all your saved words will be available once more after you login.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones