• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Stock message app

Musky

Android Expert
Mar 13, 2010
San Diego
I rooted my phone but haven't done anything but remove "Bloatware" and some apps I wasn't using. One of which was the stock message app. Now handcent will no longer send or receive picture messages, so I figure that it must have used some component of the stock app to send and receive MMS. Does anyone know if this is true. If so, where can I download the stock message app?

Thanks much in advance!

I did the same thing and I think I followed this :

Guys, if you are rooted, you should be able to push Mms back to the phone. I've not done it with Mms but I have done it with other apps after editing their images to theme them.

You just need to get your hands on the stock Mms.apk file and then use USB to move it over to the SD Card. Then use root explorer to move the file into the system/app folder. Once in there, you need to click the little button in the upper right corner to "Mount r/w". You will then need to go to the file and longpress on it. Select "permissions" Make sure for "read" all three boxes are checked. For "write" just the top box and for execute, none of the boxes are checked. Select ok and then go back to that little button in the upper right corner "Mount r/o" and tap it. Reboot the phone. Should be good to go.

EASIEST way to get the stock Mms.apk file.... whatever ROM you are using... if you don't have the ROM downloaded on your computer go do that. If you already do, open that zip folder up. Don't unzip it, just open it. Then go to system/app folder and Mms.apk will be in there. Drag it out to your desktop. You now have the stock Mms.apk file

I just uploaded an mms file for you:

Code:
http://hotfile.com/dl/74083159/54aedf8/Mms.rar.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones