• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root STOCK ROM Releases | All 3 Firmwares - 4 Versions Each | Stock Apps | Stripper Application

Hello Spec2nirvash,

Thank you for taking the time to explain that, i have rebooted in CWM and restored my stock ROM when i bought my phone on black friday with the stock OS. Would the LG Update tool still be helpful to me?

Absolutely. I soft-bricked my phone trying to do a Nand restore, from Plague ROM. I really don't trust CWM backup images, every one I've tried to restore ended up in a brick for some reason. So I use LG tool to force stock ZVA back to my phone, I don't make backups anymore LOL. I would download it, and install all of the LG drivers on your computer just in case you ever brick your phone flashing ROMs, especially if your CWM disappears!

-- If you do decide to root/add CWM, just make sure it's ChiWen's exploit, that will install CWM touch 5.8.3.1. K0nane's or mtmichaelsons exploits install the older CWM that has soft key problems.

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0
Absolutely. I soft-bricked my phone trying to do a Nand restore, from Plague ROM. I really don't trust CWM backup images, every one I've tried to restore ended up in a brick for some reason. So I use LG tool to force stock ZVA back to my phone, I don't make backups anymore LOL. I would download it, and install all of the LG drivers on your computer just in case you ever brick your phone flashing ROMs, especially if your CWM disappears!

-- If you do decide to root/add CWM, just make sure it's ChiWen's exploit, that will install CWM touch 5.8.3.1. K0nane's or mtmichaelsons exploits install the older CWM that has soft key problems.

Hope that helps!

I ran the updater tool but it did not find any updated software, i also installed CWM from the Play Store without any issues.. yet

Let me know how that app stripper works, I may try that...

First thing i noticed is i can no longer add any accounts besides google accounts. meaning i cannot sync my Exchange hosted contacts, calendar events and email... it does not seem i can reinstall from the play store. Is microsoft exchange activesync gone? also i see email is not installed in my apps anymore.. and it appears in the stripper page they do indeed delete that.

Upvote 0
I ran the updater tool but it did not find any updated software, i also installed CWM from the Play Store without any issues.. yet

First thing i noticed is i can no longer add any accounts besides google accounts. meaning i cannot sync my Exchange hosted contacts, calendar events and email... it does not seem i can reinstall from the play store. Is microsoft exchange activesync gone? also i see email is not installed in my apps anymore.. and it appears in the stripper page they do indeed delete that.

I took a closer look at the stripper thingy, I don't think it needs to remove THAT many apps LOL... saw that it removes TtsService, you might want to check and make sure your Pico speech engine is still working....

As for the LG updater, it will say you are running the latest software if you just plug it in. If you power your phone up in 'DOWNLOAD MODE' with USB, it will ignore the software check and let you upgrade anyway. Here is a link to one of my posts with download mode method ---> http://androidforums.com/connect-4g...nnect-brick-guranteed-work-2.html#post4877235

Upvote 0
I took a closer look at the stripper thingy, I don't think it needs to remove THAT many apps LOL... saw that it removes TtsService, you might want to check and make sure your Pico speech engine is still working....

As for the LG updater, it will say you are running the latest software if you just plug it in. If you power your phone up in 'DOWNLOAD MODE' with USB, it will ignore the software check and let you upgrade anyway. Here is a link to one of my posts with download mode method ---> http://androidforums.com/connect-4g...nnect-brick-guranteed-work-2.html#post4877235

Hey Spec2nirvash,

I restored my phone though CWM to before i applied the stripper. and i got the option back to a exchange hosted email account. Also got the stock email app back. hah! text to speech has never worked well i gave up on that feature a long time ago. As i did enjoy that the stripper made the phone more responsive and made my app tray more manageable without all those bloat apps.

I looked in the stripper thread and found two apps that seem to be what could have caused email to stop working right.

EmailWidget
LGEmail

So once again my email app was missing and under Settings>Accounts and sync settings>Add account. My one option was to add a google account. Pre-stripper i have a ton of options facebook, yahoo, windows live hotmail, ms exchange, work and google.

Upvote 0
Okay so i ran a root uninstaller app and got rid of most of what the LG stripper app took out. It works great and still have Exchange sync now... i tried taking screenshots of the removed apps but it seems the screenshot apps wont save to my SD card.

anyways thank you for your support the stock rom, rooted and stripped manually is worlds better than the cooked roms (at this point).

Upvote 0
Okay so i ran a root uninstaller app and got rid of most of what the LG stripper app took out. It works great and still have Exchange sync now... i tried taking screenshots of the removed apps but it seems the screenshot apps wont save to my SD card.

anyways thank you for your support the stock rom, rooted and stripped manually is worlds better than the cooked roms (at this point).

Why root uninstaller? I really don't like what the stripper takes out. When I restore stock ZVA, I root, and use the Root Explorer app(BEST $5 I ever spent) to delete all of the unwanted MetroPCS .apk(s)and respective .odex files as I see necessary. There should be a section in the root guide listing all apps that are safe to remove without compromising the system. Maybe the stripper does just that, but I saw a couple of items in the list that I feel are better to keep. And you're welcome :D

Upvote 0
Why root uninstaller? I really don't like what the stripper takes out. When I restore stock ZVA, I root, and use the Root Explorer app(BEST $5 I ever spent) to delete all of the unwanted MetroPCS .apk(s)and respective .odex files as I see necessary. There should be a section in the root guide listing all apps that are safe to remove without compromising the system. Maybe the stripper does just that, but I saw a couple of items in the list that I feel are better to keep. And you're welcome :D

I used the root uninstaller cause the stock uninstaller wouldnt cut it. I havnt looked into root explorer, but i may now. I wrote to Dracconus regarding why he would remove the email features but have never gotten a response.

Lemme chime in a say that I too love root explorer, but with root the basic file manager app does the same thing as root explorer. Just sharing that cause I honestly just found that out when I got this phone.

thanks for the tip!

Upvote 0
I used the root uninstaller cause the stock uninstaller wouldnt cut it. I havnt looked into root explorer, but i may now. I wrote to Dracconus regarding why he would remove the email features but have never gotten a response.

thanks for the tip!

I'm sorry about having never gotten back to you. I've been extremely busy since shortly after posting the stripper.
I'm going to re-work it to include confirmations for the email, bluetooth, and gps functions so that'll help with a lot of the 'issues' people are having. I made the strippers first version as complete as possible since i myself, not necessarily others, consider anything I don't use daily to be bloat, and install-able upon necessity.
However, the new version that I'm working on SLOWLY will have all of the confirmation messages set up to prevent any more issues of the sort.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones