1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Stop charging at 100%?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Stingrayracing, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Stingrayracing

None

Nov 16, 2011
    I don't know if this has been addressed before but here we go. I usually put my Turbo on charge when I go to bed and pull it off charge when I get up. I have noticed that if I grab a cup of coffee and check a few emails and then put the phone back on charge until it reaches 100% and unplug it takes considerably longer for the battery to discharge down to say 95%. If I don't recharge after the initial charging my battery will drop to 95% or below much faster with the same usage. Does this mean that once the battery reaches full charge over night it starts to discharge slightly while on the charger? I get much better battery life if I unplug as soon as it reaches 100%. Anyone else notice this?

Advertisement

2. budfox66

budfox66 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 22, 2012
    Male
    Eastern NC
    I've noticed this too...charge lasts longer if you take phone off charger soon after reaches 100.

3. Chasvs

Chasvs Member
    None

Aug 5, 2010
  4. doogald

doogald Android Expert
    None

Jan 7, 2010
    Yes, I think that this is exactly what happens. Li-ion batteries are dangerous when they near full charge - their temperature can spike, etc., so charging circuitry will shut down charging and occasionally trickle to keep it relatively full charged.

I think that 100% charge is an approximation and battery packs never get fully charged (just as 0% is a level that's higher than true full discharge and leaves the battery pack with enough capacity to run the charging circuitry.)

See http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries for a lot more info...

codesplice likes this.
  5. NO1emma

NO1emma Lurker
    None

Jul 20, 2014
    Yes. That make sense.