• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Stop charging at 100%?

Nov 16, 2011
I don't know if this has been addressed before but here we go. I usually put my Turbo on charge when I go to bed and pull it off charge when I get up. I have noticed that if I grab a cup of coffee and check a few emails and then put the phone back on charge until it reaches 100% and unplug it takes considerably longer for the battery to discharge down to say 95%. If I don't recharge after the initial charging my battery will drop to 95% or below much faster with the same usage. Does this mean that once the battery reaches full charge over night it starts to discharge slightly while on the charger? I get much better battery life if I unplug as soon as it reaches 100%. Anyone else notice this?

Does this mean that once the battery reaches full charge over night it starts to discharge slightly while on the charger?

Yes, I think that this is exactly what happens. Li-ion batteries are dangerous when they near full charge - their temperature can spike, etc., so charging circuitry will shut down charging and occasionally trickle to keep it relatively full charged.

I think that 100% charge is an approximation and battery packs never get fully charged (just as 0% is a level that's higher than true full discharge and leaves the battery pack with enough capacity to run the charging circuitry.)

See http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries for a lot more info...

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
Yes, I think that this is exactly what happens. Li-ion batteries are dangerous when they near full charge - their temperature can spike, etc., so charging circuitry will shut down charging and occasionally trickle to keep it relatively full charged.

I think that 100% charge is an approximation and battery packs never get fully charged (just as 0% is a level that's higher than true full discharge and leaves the battery pack with enough capacity to run the charging circuitry.)

See http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries for a lot more info...

Yes. That make sense.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones