• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help stopping updates

sdtag

Oct 5, 2011
I love my bionic. I have twisted and bent and learned how to deal with it's idiosyncrasies. The one thing I am having a problem with is updates. About once every other day or so, or at least once a week, it tries to update all these built in applications that I am not even using. I can't uninstall them and I can't stop it from trying to update them. Aps like Slacker, Amazon Kindle, IM, Citrix, etc.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this from happening?
Aside from rooting. I don't want to do that. No bricks in my house please.
TIA

Another one... I like the laptop dock overall but it is just a little weird too. It's great having a keyboard but I still have a hard time trying to position the cursor to edit text. I assume if I tried a mouse with it that would help but I'm not supposed to be typing while driving a car on the freeway, let alone trying to use a mouse. :)
Any shortcuts?
Again, TIA

The one thing I am having a problem with is updates. About once every other day or so, or at least once a week, it tries to update all these built in applications that I am not even using. I can't uninstall them and I can't stop it from trying to update them. Aps like Slacker, Amazon Kindle, IM, Citrix, etc.

Agreed. This is a real PITA. Unfortunately I have no solution either.

RMD

Upvote 0
... and for the Lapdock ... get a mouse ... I use the Microsoft USB mouse because I had an extra one.

... Thom

At the risk of throwing a brick, I would prefer he not try to use the lapdock while driving with a mouse - especially if he drives near me. I would think that the car dock would be a better solution for an automobile.

Upvote 0
I will contain my profanity ... I never TALK on my Bionic while driving much less attempt to use it for texting ... far much less attempt to use a lapdock.

The lapdock works pretty well with a mouse and is a little clunky without it.

There is a law in some states that you must wear a helmet while driving a motorcycle. Some people resist it because it detracts from their experience. I'm with them with a stipulation ... they must sign an agreement that Thom Little is not responsible for their hospital bills when they lie there for the next 60 years due to a head injury.

Typing while driving ... same deal ... I want a written agreement ... like I said ... I will contain the profanity ...

(Was that a brick?)

... Thom

Upvote 0
I turn off all automatic updates entirely. I still get notifications for available updates but at least i still have some control. I really don't like some of the new permissions of some of the bloatware apps. I would root just to uninstall, but in the long run it would make more work on me as I would have to reinstall to get future software updates. Perhaps after we get ICS and it seems stable.

I really think my next phone I will buy somewhere other than the carrier so I don't get this mess.

As for the laptop dock, not sure why you would need this in a car unless you were a police officer or paramedic (or something similar) but would think they would provide you a laptop anyway for the job. While I'm not one to oppose someone talking on the phone, especially with hands free devices (are we going to outlaw passengers soon?), texting/typing is way to dangerous.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if you can remove a single app from being notified of an update? I have an app I do not want updated because the updates all make it crash. I would like to remove it or disconnect it from the market so that it doesn't even ask me anymore.

Well, I have never tried this myself, but I think that you could back up with Astro File Manager, remove the app from the market, and then restore the app in Astro. I think Astro uses sideloading to install apps when restored (so you have to enable that in (from home) settings->applications->allow third party installs. This does not include a market link.

(There is risk here: when you remove from the market, and if Astro does not restore for some reason, you'll only be able to install the latest version from the market. That said, I think that this is a reliable procedure.)

You do not need to be rooted for this, by the way.

Upvote 0
Well, I have never tried this myself, but I think that you could back up with Astro File Manager, remove the app from the market, and then restore the app in Astro. I think Astro uses sideloading to install apps when restored (so you have to enable that in (from home) settings->applications->allow third party installs. This does not include a market link.

(There is risk here: when you remove from the market, and if Astro does not restore for some reason, you'll only be able to install the latest version from the market. That said, I think that this is a reliable procedure.)

You do not need to be rooted for this, by the way.

Yep use astro or es file explorer to back up the app. Uninstall the app the normal way. Then use the file explorer to side load the apk.

I also think that this only works for free apps. Paid apps cannot be restored this way (for obvious reasons.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones